Cycling with Type 2 Diabetes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

before this was starting to suffer from excessive very painful and prolonged Leg Cramps when cycling around 20 miles eating as i normally had.

increased thirst and headaches lead me (unusually for me) to book a doctors appointment several blood tests and further visits revealed the Diabetes

am now in process of getting Blood Sugars levels under control and will then throw cycling back into the mix gradually upping my distances with the aim of getting back to where i was ASAP although the 1st FNRttC may if attending be a short trip to the Thurrock Services then home just to check on the legs and see a few old friends to get my Cycling Mojo back.

i have looked at most of the threads on here relating to Diabetes (very informative they are) am looking if possible for ideal treat to Jersey Back Pocket to keep me going and not muck up my blood sugar levels i know this will be trial and error and all are specific person to person but i've time to experiment and really don't want to cut back on a Lifestyle/Hobby that myself and Partner thoroughly enjoy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the Diabetes UK website for recipe ideas for low sugar snacks. I expect there'll be something homemade and oat based to try, e.g. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/Recipe-Search-Results/?searchWord=oats

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-the-basics/Food-and-diabetes/

Are you on medication or diet/exercise regimen only at this point?

vickster

Legendary Member
Eat the whole fruit rather than fruit juice which has a far higher sugar content :smile: But still avoid too much fruit, especially grapes (v high in sugar)

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Check the Diabetes UK website for recipe ideas for low sugar snacks. I expect there'll be something homemade and oat based to try, e.g. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Recipes/Recipe-Search-Results/?searchWord=oats

Are you on medication or diet/exercise regimen only at this point?
Tablets at moment exercise has cut back a bit as normally 3,000 + miles on bike but not many of them lately the website link is great as didn't want to Google too much till hearing from medics.
Well looks like i'll be preping in the Kitchen another of my Fav Places as always preferred homemade to processed you know mostly whats in it.
Thanks for prompt reply

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Don't worry too much about it. The cycling will offset whatever top up fuel you take on during a ride, within reason.
I'm very relaxed about my type 2 now, 5 years after diagnosis.
So long as I keep my weight down to target there's no problem.
No drugs for me - apart from cycling.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Don't worry too much about it. The cycling will offset whatever top up fuel you take on during a ride, within reason.

I'm liking this Prognosis
It's going to be my new 'Mantra'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Remember, it's Type 2 and not type 1. You need to adjust your normal diet and reduce carbohydrates, especially simple/white carbs. That means more veg, less potatoes, pasta, rice. Bananas are fine as are longer acting carbs. Try and steer clear of lots of sugar. As Dirk says, exercise and diet can mean you don't need drugs.

Type 2 is more about general diet control as this will reduce your HBA1C. My son is Type 1 and we have to closely watch his blood sugars, as he has more hypos and hypers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Will try them not a Fan but will give them a go mainly get my 5 a day from veg and fruit juice although the juice part has now reduced.
I'm not diabetic but before we could get good cholesterolaemiac advice, they used to give us the diabetic books :rolleyes: so I think you could substitute most fibrous fruits (peaches, nectarines - even some varieties of pears but they're awful to transport!) and get a similar effect, although without the potassium that people bless bananas for.

Relatedly: has anyone seen shops are selling small dwarf bananas recently? Or any non-Cavendish varieties? Bananas can taste quite different to the large dwarf (Fyffes) and Chiquita bananas we often see on sale.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
Remember, it's Type 2 and not type 1. You need to adjust your normal diet and reduce carbohydrates, especially simple/white carbs. That means more veg, less potatoes, pasta, rice. Bananas are fine as are longer acting carbs. Try and steer clear of lots of sugar. As Dirk says, exercise and diet can mean you don't need drugs.

Type 2 is more about general diet control as this will reduce your HBA1C. My son is Type 1 and we have to closely watch his blood sugars, as he has more hypos and hypers.
Thanks that is pretty much my diet but now cutting down on the "Treats"

bruce1530

Guru

What he said.

Since getting the type2 diagnosis, I’ve stopped adding sugar to things, any fizzy drinks I have (rare) are no-sugar. I eat a little less junk. Still eat too much carb.

I’ve lost about 10 kilos - still a bit to go - and get a lot more exercise.

I take the medication, but only a quarter of the prescribed dose.

Sugar levels seem fine.

I don’t stress over what snacks I take on the bike, assuming that the exercise will compensate. Tends to be water in the bottle, sometimes with an electrolyte tab. In the back pocket are usually a couple of fruit bars or flapjacks from Aldi.

OP
OP
Nigel182

Nigel182

Guru
What he said.

Since getting the type2 diagnosis, I’ve stopped adding sugar to things, any fizzy drinks I have (rare) are no-sugar. I eat a little less junk. Still eat too much carb.

I’ve lost about 10 kilos - still a bit to go - and get a lot more exercise.

I take the medication, but only a quarter of the prescribed dose.

Sugar levels seem fine.

I don’t stress over what snacks I take on the bike, assuming that the exercise will compensate. Tends to be water in the bottle, sometimes with an electrolyte tab. In the back pocket are usually a couple of fruit bars or flapjacks from Aldi.
Even more good advice....reminds me so much of why i likes CycleChat.

I will go with what fossyant said:
But this is such a complex subject;
It's like being shipwreck alone on makeshift raft.
As a survivor sometimes you have to eat raw fish!

I hope you get back on the trusty steed soon.

Top Bottom