Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I’ve signed up to a training plan on garmin connect - targeting a pretend race in September. I’ve rarely done workouts outdoors as I find the roads here are too ‘up and down’ to get into the zone and hold power but I’m going to give it another go. I enjoyed doing the workouts on zwift this past winter but after my Mallorca trip I need fresh motivation so here goes.

Yesterday was 4x2mins Z5, and tomorrow 4 x 5mins Z3 - nothing I shouldn’t be able to handle but holding the power will be interesting as I’ll do this on my commute home from work.

I’m also following a running coaching plan for a 10k race - I’m actually starting to like the running now that I’ve got out of the walk/run/walk routine of the couch to 5k plan I was on, and the workouts give some theory/purpose to each run rather than just me plodding.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I have been mixing things up a bit, hill repeats, occasional z2, planks and upper body weights and now some rowing. I can now plank for 2min 40s! Which has cheered me up considerably. Unfortunately my partner broke her ankle at the weekend. Fortunately not the one she broke few years back in the Alps. It means it will be tricky to go out for long rides until she is more mobile so I will do more rides on the turbo. And I have just been given permission for a sneaky week cycling in Majorca with Sa Calobra again 11-17th June 😁 7 days to recover before the RP- should be enough.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I’ve signed up to a training plan on garmin connect - targeting a pretend race in September. I’ve rarely done workouts outdoors as I find the roads here are too ‘up and down’ to get into the zone and hold power but I’m going to give it another go. I enjoyed doing the workouts on zwift this past winter but after my Mallorca trip I need fresh motivation so here goes.

Yesterday was 4x2mins Z5, and tomorrow 4 x 5mins Z3 - nothing I shouldn’t be able to handle but holding the power will be interesting as I’ll do this on my commute home from work.

I’m also following a running coaching plan for a 10k race - I’m actually starting to like the running now that I’ve got out of the walk/run/walk routine of the couch to 5k plan I was on, and the workouts give some theory/purpose to each run rather than just me plodding.

Training outside is pretty good I find for most sessions, especially if you give some thought beforehand to the best (or least worst) routes available to you. I often find myself doing U turns in recovery periods so I can re-use a section of road. I'm doing most of my training outside at the moment.

I know exactly what you mean about running. At first, it is impossible to run slowly enough to be in a Z1/Z2 equivalent but once you have built up a little running fitness, you can relax into a run and enjoy it. Unfortunately I won't be running at all now - my consultant said after my hip op I can walk and cycle as much as I want but he suggests no running.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have been mixing things up a bit, hill repeats, occasional z2, planks and upper body weights and now some rowing. I can now plank for 2min 40s! Which has cheered me up considerably. Unfortunately my partner broke her ankle at the weekend. Fortunately not the one she broke few years back in the Alps. It means it will be tricky to go out for long rides until she is more mobile so I will do more rides on the turbo. And I have just been given permission for a sneaky week cycling in Majorca with Sa Calobra again 11-17th June 😁 7 days to recover before the RP- should be enough.

Mallorca sounds ace - but be careful. I've been back from Calpe 9 days and I'm definitely not fully recovered yet.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Mallorca sounds ace - but be careful. I've been back from Calpe 9 days and I'm definitely not fully recovered yet.

Sound advice. I will have a look at your mileage and effort over the week. I suspect you did more and at greater intensity for longer than I would be doing in Majorca. Sa Calobra did have a space come from for 3 weeks time but flight were £900 upwards!

Edit
This ticked off the first of my targets for April – I managed 1,195 TSS against a target of 1,000. This came with 21 hours of riding, 320 miles and 21,300 feet of climbing – an awesome week.

Against

550 km (340 miles) and 8800m (29000ft) of climbing

Oh well 😁

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Ah, Roy "insisted" on light recovery / cafe ride day on the 3rd day - which amazingly I complied with :smile: He also suggested I didn't do too much on the final day so that I would be less fatigued when flying home - a prime time to catch bugs etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
You guys need to get back indoors, ;) I only freewheeled for 16metres/mins :laugh:

Interval month total April.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

You have to remember that Z3, Z5 etc are zones / ranges not a fixed power target. Fixed power is just a convenience for indoor trainers. When outdoors I look to work within a range, above a minimum, below a maximum for what I’m targeting. Some days I may be at top of the range, others days in middle, and other days towards bottom; depending on fatigue etc.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Training outside is pretty good I find for most sessions, especially if you give some thought beforehand to the best (or least worst) routes available to you. I often find myself doing U turns in recovery periods so I can re-use a section of road. I'm doing most of my training outside at the moment.

I know exactly what you mean about running. At first, it is impossible to run slowly enough to be in a Z1/Z2 equivalent but once you have built up a little running fitness, you can relax into a run and enjoy it. Unfortunately I won't be running at all now - my consultant said after my hip op I can walk and cycle as much as I want but he suggests no running.

Yes the route planning seems key - for instance tonight’s commute home was on a really rolly route with lots of junctions (segments named Clontacalty Rollercoaster and Monlough Rollers) - useless for steady efforts. I could have gone the main roads but try to avoid those for commutes but may need to rethink that.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
You have to remember that Z3, Z5 etc are zones / ranges not a fixed power target. Fixed power is just a convenience for indoor trainers. When outdoors I look to work within a range, above a minimum, below a maximum for what I’m targeting. Some days I may be at top of the range, others days in middle, and other days towards bottom; depending on fatigue etc.

I wish they could invent ERG for outdoors (I’m someone already has that sorted with dI2 by now)

Totally get that - I’m working off an Edge810 which tells me the zone and my 3s power,
but I need to flick to another screen to see what zone I’m in. I’ve a general idea from setting the power Zones up recently on the garmin. I just find the roads too up and down so I’m constantly shifting and getting the top low/high warning.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **

I’m back in Mallorca (Puerto Pollensa) from 15th June for a week family holiday - but it would be rude not to hire a bike. Early morning cycles to avoid the heat and leave the day free for family will be the order of the day. If you’re about for a cycle or a pint give me a shout. 😊

Top Bottom