Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Commute to and from work followed by 42 minutes of low cadence high torque endurance work just below/above ftp. Supposed to have the same physiological impact as a long endurance ride. Ummh.
IMG_6605.png

nagden

Über Member
Monday is fartlek day for me. It is not scientific and I just ride by feel. Today I felt really good and since April I have increased my average speed for the same route by 3 kph. I did start from a really low base. If I was younger I think 2 sessions a week like this would be very effective.

nagden

Über Member
2 hour 20 steady ride. I have adopted my own 2 zone method, steady or a bit faster as I feel. This morning started off misty but the sun came through and I found myself thinking how lucky I am to be living in such a lovely area and relatively traffic free. All in all a great ride with an increase in average speed compared to the last time I rode this route.

bobinski

Legendary Member
A classic Sufferfest w/o this morning, Fight Club, and my last before flying to Majorca on Saturday. Though I hope to fit in an outdoors z2 ride before I go.

Attachments

• IMG_6613.png
    IMG_6613.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 2

bobinski

Legendary Member
I haven’t sprinted in a while so Suff Idol beckoned. I have such weedy legs 😂

IMG_6618.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Completed my FTP test today. First time I’ve done it outdoors. I couldn’t find a safe uninterrupted road for the 20 minute protocol. Thus I went for the 2 x 8 minutes all out, with 10 mins easy between efforts protocol instead. It’s bumped up my FTP, and nice to know the training is working. I think this is my highest power to weight ratio since I have tested. I don’t race, just an average punter in my late 50s; thus happy with where the numbers are, and are going.

IMG_5246.jpeg

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Does anyone use the Strava fitness score?

I have a feeling most of you probably use more advanced metrics to determine gains.

And hello by the way! It’s been a while hasn’t it? I’ve had some issue with injury that kept me off the bike for some time. And I find it less depressing not talking about it than talking about it, so I figure it was better to keep my head down than keep on about it.

The last couple of weeks I’ve been trying to do hill repeats as often as my body allows. It’s not particularly scientific but my logic is there is an element of HIIT about it, with some, if slightly limited element of endurance.

Today was the first time I’ve cycled 2 days in a row for some time. In the context of the amount of cycling involved in the Pyrenees raid. Which in short hand equates to approximately 100 miles a day for 5 days with 11k ft of climbing a day minimum. The rides I’m doing are paling by comparison. But I am at least playing with the power level I think is realistically sustainable up the climbs, and also working on my fuelling which definitely needs some work.

Hope everyone else is in good form, and enjoying what I think we can officially now declare as the summer!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
5hrs is a good haul.

My Garmin told me I was 2% heat acclimatised after today's race ^_^

My main event in August will likely be hot during day. I need to ride in the heat when I get the opportunity subject to my other training needs. As much as anything it allows me to find out how much water I need to drink, what food works (or doesn’t), and how often to reapply sun oil. What clothing works best to keep me as cool as possible as well.

Top Bottom