Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wise words. Thanks. Have been aiming for 80% activity in Zone 1 and 2 (by power)

People like high intensity, because if you get off the couch, you can see improvements measured in weeks. Call high intensity the fast component of fitness; it delivers pretty quickly, plateaus, and goes away pretty quickly if you stop. The low intensity is the slow component of fitness; improvements may take months or years, but there doesn’t seem to be a plateau (unless Olympic level I guess), and improvements take much longer to disappear if you stop. If you want to build those year on year improvements keep at it. But be patient, as it make take time for the results to show.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
People like high intensity, because if you get off the couch, you can see improvements measured in weeks. Call high intensity the fast component of fitness; it delivers pretty quickly, plateaus, and goes away pretty quickly if you stop. The low intensity is the slow component of fitness; improvements may take months or years, but there doesn’t seem to be a plateau (unless Olympic level I guess), and improvements take much longer to disappear if you stop. If you want to build those year on year improvements keep at it. But be patient, as it make take time for the results to show.

Since September I have been completely focussed on endurance work, trying to stay in Zones as 1 and 2 for outdoor rides (and doing zone 2'turbo in winter) with some turbo intervals and hill repeats for higher intensity. So completely bought in to that concept and it's working.

One of my questions has been about the boundaries between zone 1&2 and between zone 2 and 3. It had gotten to the stage where zone 2 just felt too easy and if I was going on RPE (or HR) then I would be pushing 10% harder.

So last night I switched to a different model for power zones, the one with Zone X and Zone Y as it seems to match my HR zones better when I look at HR-power curve on intervals.ICU. And today felt much better. Power, RPE and HR all seemed much more in sync with each other. Will see in next couple of weeks if I am overdoing it! 😀

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since September I have been completely focussed on endurance work, trying to stay in Zones as 1 and 2 for outdoor rides (and doing zone 2'turbo in winter) with some turbo intervals and hill repeats for higher intensity. So completely bought in to that concept and it's working.

One of my questions has been about the boundaries between zone 1&2 and between zone 2 and 3. It had gotten to the stage where zone 2 just felt too easy and if I was going on RPE (or HR) then I would be pushing 10% harder.

So last night I switched to a different model for power zones, the one with Zone X and Zone Y as it seems to match my HR zones better when I look at HR-power curve on intervals.ICU. And today felt much better. Power, RPE and HR all seemed much more in sync with each other. Will see in next couple of weeks if I am overdoing it! 😀

You don’t have to be working at a boundary for it to be effective. Why do you feel you have to work at the top of Z2?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Felt like zone 1/RPE1. HR 10 bpm below what I would expect for zone 2. Less enjoyable restricting myself to <75% FTP (trying to stick to training plan)

Have you done a maximum HR test. What are you basing your Z2 heart rate zones off?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Think Max heart rate based on ramp test or an online race

They are unlikely to be max heart rate. That might be why your Z2 feels too easy. But independent of that, go for a steady ride, and see at what heart rates your breathing changes. Plus I find the alphabet test a good one. When not exercising recite alphabet and see what letter you reach before needing a breath, don’t force it. Then go for your Z2 ride and see if you can reach same latter, speaking at same rate, before a breath. If you can, then ride a bit harder but steady and try again. When you find you can’t quite reach same letter, you’ve found that VT1 boundary you want to stay below for your easy rides.

But still keep in mind, Z2 rides should only feel hard at longer durations, not because of the effort.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Then I’m not sure what you are worrying about with these rides. Remember it is not a fixed percentage of FTP and you should ignore the latter, when doing them.

Thanks for your help and advice. I think I was being a bit rigid about sticking to a range of power rather than listening to my body. Was also intrigued that power for given HR had changed with no increase in FTP as discussed with HLAB

Top Bottom