Cyclist and speeding laws help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Here's LeeW's 72mph max descent on ROAM (Ride Over AMerica). Last year a whole flock of velomobiles rode across the US in a month in an organised tour.

I doubt he was breaking the US speed limit though, whatever it was on that highway?

Depends on the state. Could be anything from 65 to 80mph limit.

Cubist

Still wavin'
2184597 said:
So what were the stakes?
Two conkers, one drilled, the other baked, plus a dead mouse in a matchbox are on their way to you by courier as we speak.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A recumbent trike riding friend told me she had touched 70mph coming off Shap Fell with a full camping load onboard. Given I've topped 50mph I believe her. On the Tour de France TV coverage they frequently show the TV Motorbike's speedo on descents and I've seen 115kph on one of those. If a stick bike can do it a recumbent certainly can.

Yeah I knew the pro's went as quick down the mountains in the TDF, 70 in the UK though, wow, fair play to her. I've not been down that road but I'm sure the road is not as wide and empty as the one on that american clip either.

I've never had a go on a recumbent but have a friend who recently got one and he's offered to give me a go, its a basic one though, not with a fairing or anything.

I think its the old james bond movies and the cheesy batman series of my youth, but i have a recurring fear about recumbents that in case of an accident that chainring in front of you, between your legs has the potential to do more than create a few more creases in the scrotum, more like totally cut you in half like a buzz saw!

byegad

Legendary Member
Don't worry, by the time you've hit the chainring the dérailleur post will have made any other damage academic. On the other hand you're not likely to need a helmet as you hit feet, rather than head, first.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The frequently repeated mantra, often heard on this forum, is that cycles have no legal requirement to have a calibrated speedo and so cannot be expected to observe the speed limit posted for motorised vehicles. Just to be pedantic (and absurd), what if a runner could break the speed limit, would they be prosecuted?

Funny, I was just thinking about that! I guess they would be warned/fined for walking on a public highway. Regardless of speed, pedestrians are generally not allowed to walk along roads. Going back to cycling, I'd only worry about breaking a speed limit if it was a built up area or within a 20mph school zone.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Funny, I was just thinking about that! I guess they would be warned/fined for walking on a public highway. Regardless of speed, pedestrians are generally not allowed to walk along roads.

Are you sure? Discouraged, yes. Disallowed, I don't think so. I can imagine powers to prevent obstruction or nuisance being used in some circumstances, but don't believe there is a more general prohibition, still less one that would attract a fine. Does anyone have something definitive that would help?

Regardless of speed, pedestrians are generally allowed to walk along roads.

I won't go any further in case someone wants to put money on this (or conkers or whatever).

Crankarm

Guru
A recumbent trike riding friend told me she had touched 70mph coming off Shap Fell with a full camping load onboard. Given I've topped 50mph I believe her. On the Tour de France TV coverage they frequently show the TV Motorbike's speedo on descents and I've seen 115kph on one of those. If a stick bike can do it a recumbent certainly can.

Have you seen the footage of Fabian Cancellara descending the Pyrenees in Le Tour a few seasons ago. IIRC at one point he was riding at 75mph :eek: .

byegad

Legendary Member

I won't go any further in case someone wants to put money on this (or conkers or whatever).

Pity, I'd have taken the bet. The only roads banned to pedestrians are Motorways and the odd stretch of, usually, busy roads or river crossings where there is specific ban.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Funny, I was just thinking about that! I guess they would be warned/fined for walking on a public highway. Regardless of speed, pedestrians are generally not allowed to walk along roads. Going back to cycling, I'd only worry about breaking a speed limit if it was a built up area or within a 20mph school zone.
2186771 said:
Paging Insp Cubist.

Benborp wins (although there was only a small bag of marbles and a blunt pencil sharpener riding on this one)

Generally a pedestrian has every right to use any part of a highway, except for a motorway.

There are places where pedestrians will be restricted/prohibited by bylaws and local measures.

Nuisance behaviour/ obstruction all have their own bits of legislation to go at.

Top Bottom