Cyclist attacked in Dagenham for a laugh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's awful. Get well soon.

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
Thanks for all the GWS's. The wrist is in a cast but is not bothering me as much as the whiplash in my neck and I seem to have done something nasty to my
Rhomboids in my upper back. My red nose is quite comical but not painful, just swollen a bit. The knock on effect though is what it is going to cost in travel now as I cant even drive. My wife and I started going to dance lessons last week (jive swing/ Lindy hop) that's now going to be put on hold. Also my wife had started to cycle but was only going out with me. Me being pushed off and also the guy 3 doors away from us was attacked in Havering last weekend by some arse shoving him with a medical crutch from the passenger side of a passing car. ( he stayed upright) Is not exactly encouraging her.
Oh my word. Someone did that for a laugh :ohmy: No CCTV cameras around or anything?
No, no cctv they may pick them up on cctv a little further on, on ribble road, also how long did it take for your wrist to heal?
Will your story appear in the local paper?
I actually hope it wont, gives them kudos and some other little sod may copy it. My attack style seemed to be very similar to that video of someone on a bmx doing it to a commuter.
hopefully it's was the 1st time they have done this and didn't expect you to come off your bike like that so hopefully won't be trying that again, lets hope.
I sincerely hope so, I having being doing that route for 7 years, and hope to do it for a few more.
I may put up some pictures of my wheel and helmet later when I work out how to do it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I understand your view on local publicity, but in cases such as this often the only way the perpetrators can be identified is via a witness appeal.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Actually if you were to get this in the local newspaper it may prompt someone to come forward to info to give to the police and stop them doing it again. Just a thought.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
For a broken bone to heal, I think you're probably looking at 6 weeks in a cast (or whatever they told you) and then another month or so of introduction of movement before you'd want to consider putting your weight on it for a short-medium distance ride. Can probably heal the other parts in that time as well, but it's a slow process and I imagine there'll be quite a bit of trial and error. Slow gentle stretches. Listen to your body is the key message though.

Full sympathy, once again. Would definitely be inclined to go toward the local publicity thing, if at all possible and it fits in with your life, time wise, though.
1, it will serve as a warning;
2, they may be identified and prosecuted;
3, it might actually make them think about the knock on effect to your life and the massive trauma they've had on it.

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
Picture of the wheel/bike,
IMG-20150118-00025.jpg
IMG-20150118-00026.jpg
IMG-20150118-00021.jpg
hopefully

Someone I know, mid 20s female, was attacked not far from there nr canning town on A13. walking hone from tube early evening after work last week. No attempt to take anything, just knocked her over and a couple of kicks. cracked a rib, scratches snd bruised.

It's either just for fun or its an initiation thing.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
That's more than enough injury that the police should be taking this very seriously. They probably have suspects in mind, and often these sort of folk are stupid enough to admit it when directly asked. I know you have other things on your mind just now, but you must make sure the police are actively investigating this, not shrugging it off with 'there's no CCTV, nothing we can do'.

I broke my wrist years ago and it was a long time before I was comfortable riding a bike, I'm afraid. It put my activities as a musician back several years too.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
T

No, no cctv they may pick them up on cctv a little further on, on ribble road, also how long did it take for your wrist to heal?

I broke it on the 25th August 2010. When it gets better properly, I'll let you know.
I don't have any proper twist in my wrist now and I can only bend it a bit forward and back. I can't make a fist still and it's permanently a funny colour. In cold weather, even with gloves on it hurts. If it gets too cold I'll just sit and weep with the pain. I try not to knock it. I've lost about 5mm of bone length in my radius bone - hence not twisting or bending - and I've lost over 40% of the original bone density so need to be a bit careful with it.

Normal day to day living is fine though, as long as I don't want to try and turn a key, use a can opener or lift a mug of tea. My left arm does most of the work. I can play guitar but finger picking it too slow for anything but ballads.

lazy

I was cycling home on the cycle path in Dagenham which runs by the A13 near Ripple road last night. Seperated from the A13 by a 4 ft high wall with pavement 10 ft wide beside cyclepath. I became aware of a scooter just behind me. Yes, illegal but nothing unusual in this area They overtook me on the left, 2 youths on 1 scooter. As they went past the passenger kicked my front wheel so hard it pringled and shot sideways. I was doing around 20mph. I instantly went over the bars. I landed mainly on my right hand, head and face. I was winded and lots of pain in my neck,back and wrist. No witnesses unfortunately. Youths just rode off ( probably laughing a lot) A minute later a local cyclist on a MTB turned up and was very good, he rang the police, ambulance etc and sorted me and the bike out till the police and ambulance turned up. Damage to the bike a light and front wheel. Helmet did its job, dented and cracked right through. Me, broken wrist, huge red nose, whiplash, general bruising. Xray of neck and back, nothing broken but half my muscles in that area are screaming at me. Police tell they have had lots of problems with youths on scooters in that area lately, so if you cycle around there and hear a scooter just slam the brakes on and stop.

very sorry to hear that i hope you are ok now, it saddens me that police wont do anything and they just fobbed you off, what were they doing when there were no CCTV cameras? there job is to catch these criminals.

Top Bottom