Cyclist causes death..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

Crankarm said:
I don't think the cyclist pictured is the cause of the woman's death. The woman should have been seated.
Honestly the mind boggles!!!
So the general opinion is that the driver and old lady are to blame for her death and not the stupid prick who caused the driver to perform an emergency stop in the first place?

numbnuts;1276836]nice comments said:
darkstar said:
Irony, irony! When I used the acronym "[thread=50191]POB[/thread]" on this forum a few months ago, I got taken to the cleaners, accused of 'snobbery'. Perhaps it's the context in which it's said. Admittedly the photo of the lad looks rather thuggish - perhaps better use the word 'brutish'. And the low saddle height is not encouraging. But there are no grounds to impugn him on a murder charge for that - he may have just suffered a momentary lapse of attention. We just don't know.

darkstar said:
Firstly i can't believe that nobody on the bus gave their seat over to this elderly woman,
That's not what is said in the news story, not at all. In fact it explicitly states
as she stood up to get off the bus
However it is certainly a matter of courtesy to let elderly people have seats nearer the door and allow them to alight first. Notably, seeing as the story says this lady went swimming twice a week, she was not exactly frail for a 78-year-old.

Mark_Robson said:
So the general opinion is that the driver and old lady are to blame for her death and not the stupid prick who caused the driver to perform an emergency stop in the first place?
I think it's a case of more than one person to blame here. As is so often the case.

darkstar

661-Pete said:
Irony, irony! When I used the acronym "[thread=50191]POB[/thread]" on this forum a few months ago, I got taken to the cleaners, accused of 'snobbery'. Perhaps it's the context in which it's said. Admittedly the photo of the lad looks rather thuggish - perhaps better use the word 'brutish'. And the low saddle height is not encouraging. But there are no grounds to impugn him on a murder charge for that - he may have just suffered a momentary lapse of attention. We just don't know.

That's not what is said in the news story, not at all. In fact it explicitly states However it is certainly a matter of courtesy to let elderly people have seats nearer the door and allow them to alight first. Notably, seeing as the story says this lady went swimming twice a week, she was not exactly frail for a 78-year-old.

I think it's a case of more than one person to blame here. As is so often the case.
Irony? Where? Lol i didn't comment on the thread you linked to... All i meant by 'he's just a lad on a bmx' was that the people in the comments section seem to be blaming all cyclists, which is unfair.

As for the woman standing up to get off, yup i missed that quote, she was obviously in a hurry...

darkstar said:
Irony? Where? Lol i didn't comment on the thread you linked to... All i meant by 'he's just a lad on a bmx' was that the people in the comments section seem to be blaming all cyclists, which is unfair.
I quite agree with you that the comments - like, alas! all comments in local rags, whenever there's cycling in any way involved - are horrendous. The 'irony' I was thinking of, perhaps ought to be picked up on by those C'Chatters who did have a go on that thread ... but never mind.

Mark_Robson said:

This is a combination of factors, had she been seated, then would she have been injured?

Had she been seated would the injuries have been less?

.. and of course if it was a head / neck injury, would a helmet have saved her?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The picture - it looks right near the Student Union, between the SU and the Whitworth Hall (there are hoardings up on the left as it is where there is building/demolition going on) - the problem there, it's just after a bus stop, and it's a main crossing point for pedestrians and idiots on bikes.....

Tragic thing to happen.

Mark_Robson

Cunobelin said:
This is a combination of factors, had she been seated, then would she have been injured?

Had she been seated would the injuries have been less?

.. and of course if it was a head / neck injury, would a helmet have saved her?
I appreciate that all accidents occur through a combination of factors but I wonder if forum members would be reacting in the same way if it had been a car that had pulled out rather than a cyclist. And yes the person in the picture is a cyclist, just as a moton is a motorist.
And can we please not turn this into a helmet debate.

FFS if the bmx rider is found to blame, I hope they throw the book at him. My condolences to Ms Palmer. I know its easy to say this after the event but I'm surprised nobody gave the old woman a seat.

[RANT] Its too early to say but I wouldn't be surprised if the bmx rider is to blame. A couple of weeks back one jumped of the kerb parallel with my bike; a good job I was in the primary and traffic was slowing for an ambulance & fire engine. The idiot proceeded straight through nearly colliding with the aforesaid ambulance. They also seem to be the worst for cycling around in the dark with no lights; as showing other bad behaviour, pavement cycling RLJ. I once went round a bend to find three unlit bmx'er, on the wrong side of the road coming straight at me. [RANT OVER]

I like the term PoB!

In this case though I do not feel responsible - or expect anyone else to take responsibility for this PoB's alleged actions.

Equally I do not expect the average motorist to be responsible for his actions in a couple of years when he drives his chavriolet in the same way.

Mark_Robson

The problem with the term POB is that it's only used by cyclists. Motorists and pedestrians use the term cyclist, and I'm afraid that they judge cyclists by the actions of a minority of idiots.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Mark_Robson said:
The problem with the term POB is that it's only used by cyclists. Motorists and pedestrians use the term cyclist, and I'm afraid that they judge cyclists by the actions of a minority of idiots.
A comment from the piece to back up your thoughts Mark-

Malc2008, Sale (31/05/2010 at 13:33)
cyclists are idiots, they are dangerous on the road and show no consideration for other road users.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
It does seem by the comments to this article and any other similar story be it in the Mail, Evening Standard or whatever, it would seem that 100% of people in the UK, have either been hit, knocked over, had to jump for their lives or have an elderly relative who is constantly terrorised by cyclists.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The whole road is an accident waiting to happen - Europe's busiest bus route, students, students on bikes (and they have no clue) and folk just getting on with day to day.

Depends on the bus company too - Stagecoach 'branded' buses seem to be the best driven (hence with video of the 'cyclist' it's likely to be a stagecoach - video cams everywhere) - Magic bus/ Finglands are all bought out by stagecoach, but operate a fill em up, drive em fast operation - seems more company 'pressure' than drivers, and the buses are 20 plus years old or HK imports.

buggi

Bird Saviour
the whole thing is tragic, but when i've been on buses lately they drive way too fast. i'm 39, i'm fit and i presume, coz i ride a bike, i have quite good balance, but it's a nightmare trying to walk down the bus to the front to get off at your stop and, as pointed out, they don't always listen to the bell you're supposed to press. can't count the amount of times i've nearly been put through the front window, just from the driver pulling up at the bus stop because he was driving so fast. i'm not laying any judgements, but i wonder if the speed of the bus was taken into account.

also, buses are not like they used to be, there are huge gaps between the rails to hold onto now, especially around the middle of the bus where they allow space for pushchairs etc.

Top Bottom