Cyclist causes death..

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
Aren't there prominent signs in a bus telling passengers not to stand up until the bus has come to a stop? Surely an elderly woman of 78 years would adhere to this? The last time I went on a bus which was years ago, the driver was a maniac. Every one wanting to get off would stand up about 400m before their bust stop and the driver would slam on the bus brakes as hard as they could meaning the passengers would hang on for dear life not to be flung forward. But approaching the next bus stop remaining passengers would do the same. Madness.

I don't think the cyclist pictured is the cause of the woman's death. The woman should have been seated.
 

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Moderator
the word 'cyclist' should be replaced by 'youth'.

i think crankarm is probably correct, and the driver of the bus may well have questions to answer with regard to appropriate speed and anticipation. youths on bmxs can move about quite illogically (as a youth on a bmx i once stupidly bunnyhopped off a curb into the path of a car, the driver of which quite rightly gave me a very stern look) and should be treated as a potential hazard by drivers, who should drive within appropriate margins of safety.
 
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Location
My Armchair
numbnuts said:
nice comments, and that is not a cyclist, that's a little shoot on a bike
You're probably right there mate,unfortunately he is classed as a 'cyclist' and we all suffer because of it.
I hate standing up/walking on a bus when it's moving and I'm a relatively fit middle aged bloke,so it must be even worse for someone that age.Not sure the bus driver could do anything else other than what he did,trouble is the 'little shoot' will be doing the exact same thing today and every other day until he gets hit himself or grows up a bit.
 

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
an emergency stop is part of the driving test, it's something that's anticipated as being needed. This seems to be picking on the reason for the emergency stop rather than the fact that it couldn't be done safely.
 

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Location
South Croydon
Sometimes it's not possible to sit, and if standing it's important to hold on. but even when holding on you can be taken by surprise by a sharply stopping bus

Something that really pee's me off on public transport, is the people that are sitting down, must get up and get to the doors first before the bus or train or tram stop. Barging through people to get there without a care in the world. Even when it's packed in rush hour people seem to think they are more important than anyone else.
 

JtB

Black Lives Matter
Location
North Hampshire
I guess most of us stand before the bus stops because we don't want to hold up the bus while we walk from our seat to the exit.
 

snakehips

Well-Known Member
Crankarm said:
Aren't there prominent signs in a bus telling passengers not to stand up until the bus has come to a stop? Surely an elderly woman of 78 years would adhere to this?
Trouble is , by the time you get to 78 you're probably not that nimble and many might feel they have to get up early to make sure they get to the door in time and don't inconvenience other people by holding up the bus.

Snake

My Library
 

darkstar

New Member
Firstly i can't believe that nobody on the bus gave their seat over to this elderly woman, it's basic manors. People are allowed to stand on the busses here in liverpool, i see nothing wrong so long as the driver is safe enough. You do get some crap bus drivers though and i would not go blaming the cyclist straight away. Nobody reading that article actually knows the true circumstances.

It's a lad on a bmx anyway, not a cyclist. Though you do come across many cases of bad cycling. Example- The other day i was driving along a busy road in Liverpool, this guy was cycling on the wrong side of the road coming towards me! It was starting to get dark and i nearly didn't see him. scary.
 

wafflycat

New Member
darkstar said:
Firstly i can't believe that nobody on the bus gave their seat over to this elderly woman, it's basic manors. People are allowed to stand on the busses here in liverpool, i see nothing wrong so long as the driver is safe enough. You do get some crap bus drivers though and i would not go blaming the cyclist straight away. Nobody reading that article actually knows the true circumstances.

It's a lad on a bmx anyway, not a cyclist. Though you do come across many cases of bad cycling. Example- The other day i was driving along a busy road in Liverpool, this guy was cycling on the wrong side of the road coming towards me! It was starting to get dark and i nearly didn't see him. scary.
[rant]

I can. I've seen it happen many a time. I'm in my fifties and I've seen it where much younger passengers than yours truly remain seated, so it's yours truly that ends up giving up her seat to the elderly person or heavily pregnant woman. Manners exited public transport about 20 years ago I think.

[/rant]
 

darkstar

New Member
wafflycat said:
[rant]

I can. I've seen it happen many a time. I'm in my fifties and I've seen it where much younger passengers than yours truly remain seated, so it's yours truly that ends up giving up her seat to the elderly person or heavily pregnant woman. Manners exited public transport about 20 years ago I think.

[/rant]
I always give up my seat and have had some people look at me as though i'm insane. Take a train journey not so long ago, i had a seat reserved, it was packed so some people had to stand. I turned around to see what happened (some sort of noise) and saw this elderly woman standing. the next stop wasn't for ages and even the people facing her had not bothered to offer her a seat. I did and gave this lad my age a dirty look, he just carried on as usual.

Another time walking down some steps in Birmingham new st station, this woman was struggling to get her pram up the stairs. People were just walking past her, it's shocking! In China people give up seats without even saying anything, i think it's even the law on the tubes in Beijing.
 
Slightly OT...

A few weeks ago I was on a rare bus trip as I was going out drinking in the evening.

Going through FRatton on the bus when an elderly lady got on.

Being the considerate gentleman I am, I stood and offered her the seat

In order to recognise my chivalry, the "Lady" replied "Don't be so F*&^%%^ condescending, what makes you think I need your seat?"
 
Top Bottom