Cyclist dies after hitting water filled pot hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-road-hours-workmen-finally-repaired-it.html

"Potholes are a major problem all over the country.

‘Even though we are in a time of austerity, they need to be tackled. I don’t think that many motorists realise that if a cyclist moves out into the road they are not being difficult. they may well be trying to avoid a pothole"

How many of us have either slowed down while that car sat on our shoulder can pass, or we've moved out to avoid that pot hole, attracting abuse from that motorist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemond

Very sad news.

Potholes are one of the main reasons why I've bought a turbo. Around these parts the roads are full of cracks and holes, which are a devil to spot in the dark or when it's been raining.

What is so difficult to do maintence patching on a regular rolling basis on the left side of roads. Someone sprays and marks the patches on day 1 and the maintenance crew comes along on Day 2 and 3 to fix it. I guess if it is not in the manual it has to go to Westminster for airing.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On our club run on Wednesdays we don't half take some risks! If i'm familiar with a road and have taken a mental note of the pot holes i'll go at some speed,but some of the roads we go on are new to us. Yet we're expected to hurtle down them.

Many motorists think a cyclist taking evasive action and swerving out to avoid a pot hole is being awkward They do not think or realise that 6 inch deep and two foot long holes can result in serious injury to that "awkward cyclist"!!

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Very sad..

the thing is as a cyclist any sudden change of direction without being aware of whats behide you is risky..
the car driver cant see the pot hole your about to avoid...
its your life ..protect yourself ...
i had to do a bunny hop to avoid going under a lorry on the A47..massive pothole..but the truck had nowhere to go either..

put me off riding fast A roads..i wont do it anymore

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's getting as bad as the USA, my brother in Michigan has special insurance for his car wheels and tyres because the roads are so bad.

Mrs M

Guru
The roads up here were bad enough before all the storms and flooding. Now some roads are just crumbling in places and one got washed away.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What motorists and other motorised vehicle users(with the exception of smaller motorbikes and scooters)have to realise is that they are the ones who make the pot holes! It's no good frowning at cyclists when we have to slow down the other road users,to avoid a pot hole they've created in the first place!:thumbsdown:

Oh but yes i've forgotten(!) They pay loads and loads of "road tax", when we don't pay a penny, so they have a right to make those holes(!):rolleyes:

Reactions: PBB

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
My 80 year old father hit a water-filled pothole yesterday, fell off his bike and broke his shoulder and his pelvis :sad: Probably the end of his 40+ years of cycling

Top Bottom