Cyclist down Blackfriars Bridge this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Molecule Man

That junction seems to be particularly bad for RLJing by motorists. I usually go through eastwards across Blackfriars Road, and almost every time there are vehicles (mainly taxis) still turning right from Blackfriars Road southbound lane after the eastbound lights have turned green. And it's not just dummies who have managed to park themselves in the middle of the junction, you see them accelerating from well before the lights after the lights have changed.

I hope the victim makes a good recovery both physically and mentally, the incident sounds quite nightmarish.

Another terrible tragic unnecessary accident. ;)

Yous lot take it easy out there! ;)

hackbike 6

I crossed over Blackfriars Bridge at 2350 last night,coming up from the ITV studios or whatever they are and the OXO tower and as I looked right I saw a paramedics car at the junction in the westerly direction.I thought there had been an accident down there.

As I turned left to go towards Blackfriars I noticed a bus near the lights and a lorry to the right and a black cab to the left with a policeman who was packing heat.

The black cab was just past the lights.

The cop gave me a puzzled look but I just whizzed off through the (green) lights which had just changed.I didn't really suss at the time what was going on.

Possibly recreating the scene?

domtyler said:
Sounds like one situation where jumping the red lights might just save your life.

I've been crossing it and the other bridges for years...generally I do Southwark Bridge...and sometimes Blackfriars Bridge...did use Waterloo Bridge at one time but had to use the steps to get down to the lower level so I stopped using it.

I have varying tactics for using Blackfriars Bridge depending on traffic volume and Speed.I remember the olde cycle lane but I never used it,but I did see a nightmare once with a cyclist using it and a car trying to weave round him this way and that luckily cyclist was ok...It was a real nightmare.

The road layout down the bottom (Blackfriars end)seems to be a nightmare for cyclists and is also where I had the run in with the motorist who almost ran me off the road.Lets just say he used his vehicle aggressively against me while on his mobile.I should hae taken his number and a picture on my mobile.

rootes

domtyler said:
I live a mile or two away from the Olympic zone, there are whole areas that are now effectively off limits for cycling as far as I'm concerned. When I bought my wife her bike we came home together and I took her along Temple Mills road which used to be pretty quiet the last time I'd ridden along there but she ended up being terrified out of her skin by all the construction lorries thundering past inches from her elbow!

well I am involved with Olympic related development with my work and i use my brompton to get out to the park and surrounds from central london - byy far the easiest and quickest way...

as for blackfriars bridge - i find going north good - south not so good, but aonly as need to cross over/turn right to get to waterloo...

but now i use waterloo bridge north and south - seems quicker for my journey from waterloo to holborn circus

Blackandblue

The signs appealing for witnesses went up this morning. Almost a full week after the incident....

Also on a morning when traffic was seriously clogged around that area due to road closures after a cyclist was taken out at Southwark Bridge.

I don't know about anyone else but after a sustained period of incident free cycling (and indeed feeling as though people on the roads are generally being quite considerate), latterly I've witnessed and experienced some really bad behaviour amongst all road users (lorries, black cabs, buses, cars, scooterists, motorcyclists and cyclists). It's alomst a daily event these days.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
All this bad driving and attitude is normal around the equinox. It'll die down soon, with a resurgence when the clocks change, and be back again in March.

Top Bottom