Cyclist Down: Derby A52 Ashbourne Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/young-cyclist-killed-lorry-crash-3788984
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/woman-cyclist-25-dies-after-3765840

This one has hit me pretty hard, I didn’t know the female cyclist, but I was aware of her through Strava as being a female myself I like to see where us ladies are cycling in the city and find new routes.

She was a very experienced/competitive cyclist, clocked up 400 miles this year alone, this was a route she did often, a route she had done the day before.
The section of the road in question is awful for cyclists, a lot of lorries, pinch point crossings that are very narrow and eventually fades into a bit of a nicer road, used by a lot of cyclists as access to the lanes or a main commuting.

I'm disgusted that Derby Telegraph allow for the open comentation on these articles as the one where she was named has some horrific responses that are nothing short of disgusting and most be terrible for the family and friends who did know her to read through.

Slick

Guru
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/young-cyclist-killed-lorry-crash-3788984
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/woman-cyclist-25-dies-after-3765840

This one has hit me pretty hard, I didn’t know the female cyclist, but I was aware of her through Strava as being a female myself I like to see where us ladies are cycling in the city and find new routes.

She was a very experienced/competitive cyclist, clocked up 400 miles this year alone, this was a route she did often, a route she had done the day before.
The section of the road in question is awful for cyclists, a lot of lorries, pinch point crossings that are very narrow and eventually fades into a bit of a nicer road, used by a lot of cyclists as access to the lanes or a main commuting.

I'm disgusted that Derby Telegraph allow for the open comentation on these articles as the one where she was named has some horrific responses that are nothing short of disgusting and most be terrible for the family and friends who did know her to read through.
No wonder this hit you hard, just looking at her picture leaves me cold to think she has been cut down, terrible.

As for the comments, I never scroll down far enough to read them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, most local free chipwrappers are sub daily mail when it comes to deliberate poking the hornets nest over certain topics.

As for the victim, this is awful. Truly awful. There are so e right sheets in the world that deserve a sticky exit, but they carry on while a young life full of promise is rubbed out in the blink of an eye.

lane

Veteran
Hit me pretty hard when I read it yesterday evening as well. I didn't read any comments which was just as well. Someone from Derby Cycling Group was arranging some sort of vigil last Sunday evening.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've ploughed through the 40 or so comments on both articles.

One has been deleted, the majority of the rest are simple expressions of condolence.

There is a brief discussion of the dangerousness of the road.

One person wonders why any cyclist would ride on such a road, which could be offensive to some.

What is a little curious is a number of the condolence posts have attracted red thumbs down arrows, which rather suggests a handful of people want to make a comment but are either too cowardly or have been prevented from doing so.

Most of us support freedom of speech, but we need to be careful not to fall into the trap of only supporting that freedom until such time as someone uses it to make a comment we don't like or one with which we disagree.

I'm also bound to observe she was a bonny young woman with a loving family, lots of friends, and was obviously getting out and about enjoying life.

Unfortunately, that awakens the green eyed monster in some, although they would never admit it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The whole area around markeaton is bad enough in a vehicle given how the general attitude to driving standards is , you have to take your life in your hands on that island .
It makes you think hard about riding some times, the general level of moton is high lately , blame it on the winter blues, low light levels or just general smidgaf but its definitely worse than usual atm .

Top Bottom