Cyclist down Desford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sad news

13 rider

Guru
Wishing the lady all the best Just looked at the Leicester mercury website seems to have happened near the bluebell pub ,A route I regularly cycle when heading out to Bosworth

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Wishing the lady all the best Just looked at the Leicester mercury website seems to have happened near the bluebell pub ,A route I regularly cycle when heading out to Bosworth

Traffic has grown steadily worse over the last two years.Heavy goods vehicles trying to negotiate the mini round a ought to access High street then finding it all but impossible to do the left turn into Peckleton Lane
The situation has been made worse by the building of two new estates Two more subject to planning approval I avoid any travel in the either by bike or car between 8 30am and 9 30 am.This is the period when work traffic heading for Caterpillar and the school coincides all impatient to get to there respective destinations.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A female cyclist has been rushed to hospital with life threatening injuries following being hit by a van The 46 year old driver has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving while unfit through drugs.

mods
Not sure if there already a thread for cyclist down.
During my time as a driving instructor (20 years) I only had one incident where I had to refuse a lesson because the pupil had alcohol on his breath, but several where I had to say no because I could smell cannabis. And bearing in mind most illegal drugs give no outer sign of their use, I have no doubt I did many a lesson with someone who would have failed a drug test.

Drug driving is a far greater problem that drink driving, how many times have you sniffed the obvious stench of weed through a car window?

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
A female cyclist has been rushed to hospital with life threatening injuries following being hit by a van The 46 year old driver has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving while unfit through drugs.

mods
Not sure if there already a thread for cyclist down.

, member: 12080"]
Traffic has grown steadily worse over the last two years.Heavy goods vehicles trying to negotiate the mini round a ought to access High street then finding it all but impossible to do the left turn into Peckleton Lane
The situation has been made worse by the building of two new estates Two more subject to planning approval I avoid any travel in the either by bike or car between 8 30am and 9 30 am.This is the period when work traffic heading for Caterpillar and the school coincides all impatient to get

Just heard on Leicestershire LiveThe lady iinvolved in the accident in Desford has unfortunately died She was 69 years of age Hope the judiciary give the maximum sentence available to the idiot who caused this tragedy

RIP

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Thats sad news.

DRM

Guru
During my time as a driving instructor (20 years) I only had one incident where I had to refuse a lesson because the pupil had alcohol on his breath, but several where I had to say no because I could smell cannabis. And bearing in mind most illegal drugs give no outer sign of their use, I have no doubt I did many a lesson with someone who would have failed a drug test.

Drug driving is a far greater problem that drink driving, how many times have you sniffed the obvious stench of weed through a car window?
Whilst working on an industrial estate, just to the north of Leeds city centre, it seemed the stink of weed was coming from every other car that drove past, it's scary that these numbskulls think it's acceptable to behave like this, but a lack of police patrols means the chances of being caught are very slim to nil

Baldy

Über Member
, member: 12080"]
The situation has been made worse by the building of two new estates Two more subject to planning approval I avoid any travel in the either by bike or car between 8 30am and 9 30 am.This is the period when work traffic heading for Caterpillar and the school coincides all impatient to get

Just heard on Leicestershire LiveThe lady iinvolved in the accident in Desford has unfortunately died She was 69 years of age Hope the judiciary give the maximum sentence available to the idiot who caused this tragedy

RIP

It's 19 years since I left Leicester but I used to deliver parts to Catapiller. My recollection is that HGV's could only access the plant from the other A47 end of Peckleton Lane. Desford village has or did have a 7.5tonne limit. The vehicle involved in this incident was a van so presumably under 7.5tonne so what's the relevance of the comment about HGV's?

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
It's 19 years since I left Leicester but I used to deliver parts to Catapiller. My recollection is that HGV's could only access the plant from the other A47 end of Peckleton Lane. Desford village has or did have a 7.5tonne limit. The vehicle involved in this incident was a van so presumably under 7.5tonne so what's the relevance of the comment about HGV's?

It was often foreign lorries that followed sat nav.It was aprox 3 years ago that signs on the three main routes directed hgv traffic down to theA47 via Desford cross roads I have as has many others had to either reverse or to drive onto the pavement while lorries try to extricate from a tricky manoeuvre Caterpillar has tried to hemp with the problem advising the foreign hauliers not to follow the route as it takes them on a shorter route than the more practical one.Just to point out the problem caused by a very narrow road in the centre of the village made worse by parked vehicles from the exit from Peckleton Lane to the mini round about.

It wasn’t meant as criticism of lorry drivers

Last edited:
Top Bottom