Cyclist down in Stevenage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
On my way to B&Q this afternoon, pretty much the whole of London Road was closed off. In order to make it to the shop, I had to dismount and walk on the pavement.

Anyway, as I got to the RAB immediately outside B&Q, I could see at least four police cars, a civilian car (looked like a small Honda, but I’m no expert) a road bike, but no rider. There was three or four coppers surveying the scene with a theodolite and fluorescent markers. I did assume the worst. :biggrin::ohmy:

As the copper with the theodolite has finished his measurement from that location and was walking towards me, I couldn’t resist asking about my fellow cyclist. "It looks like he may be ok, *now*" was the response. So it sounds like the police immediately thought it was worse that it actually was. Sounds like a lucky escape - PHEW :smile:

I was going to post a GoogleMaps link so you could see the layout yourselves, but as its a relatively new layout, the sat view is out of date, so a description will have to suffice: It is the only place in town, with those stupid cycle lanes that without warning decide to mount the pavement (at 90 degree angles) then go back out into the road 30 yards later. We all know the ones. ;):angry:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sounds nasty. There was a death last week caused by a hit and run driver on the A414 to Hertford. Be careful out there.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
TBH, on that road you're better ignoring the cycle farcility and just using the road.
Or there's the parallel road (Monkswood Way) which has better cycle paths.
Whoever it was, I hope they're OK now.

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Indeed. Thats exactly what I would have done, providing the road wasn't closed (and by the looks of the situation, what the other cyclist did). It appears the accident happened on the RAB itself.

I hope he/she is back on their bike already ;)

Top Bottom