Cyclist Down - its Jeremy Vine!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
There is a reason geared bicycles as we know them were initially called Safety Bicycles in contrast to Penny Farthings or Ordinaries.

Taking a header was rather unpleasant.

View attachment 631312

1880 Penny farthing vs 1885 Rover Safety bicycle.
I pointed that reason out to him nearly two years ago, and got told by Cycling Twitter that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Stop too quickly on a PF and you'll go over the bars because the centre of gravity is too high and too far forward, Vine's bike came to an abrupt halt when his wheel hit a divot in the grass. Safety bikes don't have the same problem because they move the CofG lower down, and further back. There seems to be a bit of a fashion craze for PFs among those who don't know why they're dangerous, and why they went obsolete, it's not just that there's further to fall, the design makes you more likely to fall.

I've seen a man riding one of those on a bike/pedestrian trail near me. Looks fun, but very dangerous and he had to duck to get under some underpasses and tree branches.

classic33

Leg End Member
I pointed that reason out to him nearly two years ago, and got told by Cycling Twitter that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Stop too quickly on a PF and you'll go over the bars because the centre of gravity is too high and too far forward, Vine's bike came to an abrupt halt when his wheel hit a divot in the grass. Safety bikes don't have the same problem because they move the CofG lower down, and further back. There seems to be a bit of a fashion craze for PFs among those who don't know why they're dangerous, and why they went obsolete, it's not just that there's further to fall, the design makes you more likely to fall.
Not just the CoG, but there's the spoon brake on the front wheel, which doesn't really help.
Before writing them off, ride one if you get the chance. You can get e-assist if you need it.

Top Bottom