Another Jeremy Vine video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I initially thought he'd stopped behind the truck but I think he went to go around the back and the driver started reversing. Easy to be wise after the event.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don’t see JV stopping, but negotiating the rear of the van when the driver reverses without checking and hits him.

Dunno with these camera's

You know the issues with the highway code and left turns, if I know a car will turn, or can see it, I will stop, but the 'code' says I don't need to - loads of left hooks going on as cyclists think drivers will now mirror check even if bike is in a cycle lane.

Having had massive injuries commuting, I now just keep myself safe in traffic. I'll make progress else where.

Mike_P

Guru
The camera doesn't help but I see it as the van turning and immediately reversing. The Q is then could JV have stopped before reaching the van or safely altered course.

Slick

Guru
The camera doesn't help but I see it as the van turning and immediately reversing. The Q is then could JV have stopped before reaching the van or safely altered course.

He could have just stayed at home also.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Big van does a crap turn, can't get through, rider needs to slow and ride wide ! But doesn't. JV is a bell end.

I get silly stuff like this every day, it's life. (Car/Walk/Bike)

I am feckin idiot that can, at a whim, decide to work from home. Mandate is two days in office, I'm like 3 or 4 because I can cycle in. I don't rant about idiot drivers, because, the bike is less stress than driving a big/old car that SUV's can't bully.

Cameras and bikes (unless for fun) is not what cycling is about.

scragend

I'm far from a fan of Jeremy Vine, but I don't think he comes out of this as badly as I expected him to before I watched the videos.

Did he stop behind the van or not? Hard to tell. Could he have done more to avoid the collision? Possibly. Should he have had to? Discuss.

He's likely to have been in the driver's blind spot (can't tell if the van has a reversing camera) but the driver has to be at fault for making the turn in the first place and then for reversing out of it over the top of the bike.

We don't know what exchange took place between the end of the first video ("Just come over here") and the start of the second one but, given Mr. Vine's reputation for anti-motorist rants, I thought he handled it remarkably calmly.

Slick

Guru
I'm far from a fan of Jeremy Vine, but I don't think he comes out of this as badly as I expected him to before I watched the videos.

Did he stop behind the van or not? Hard to tell. Could he have done more to avoid the collision? Possibly. Should he have had to? Discuss.

He's likely to have been in the driver's blind spot (can't tell if the van has a reversing camera) but the driver has to be at fault for making the turn in the first place and then for reversing out of it over the top of the bike.

We don't know what exchange took place between the end of the first video ("Just come over here") and the start of the second one but, given Mr. Vine's reputation for anti-motorist rants, I thought he handled it remarkably calmly.

JV declared himself fit and unhurt and they parted on good terms.

Drago

Legendary Member
Am I watching this right. I'm not used to that type of urban riding environment, but was the last light that Whine rode through on red? If it applies to cyclists (and I don't know it does) then he placed himself in harms way by ignoring it.

The other lesson to remember is steer clear of people who are driving like tits, and certainly don't skirt closely around them.

Not Whines fault by any means, but he willfully passed up two opportunities to avoid this happening.

Slick

Guru
Am I watching this right. I'm not used to that type of urban riding environment, but was the last light that Whine rode through on red? If it applies to cyclists (and I don't know it does) then he placed himself in harms way by ignoring it.

The other lesson to remember is steer clear of people who are driving like tits, and certainly don't skirt closely around them.

Not Whines fault by any means, but he willfully passed up two opportunities to avoid this happening.

I think the only light he passed that wax relevant to him was green.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
No @Drago, I think that red light is for another traffic flow, I see no relevant stop line for it.
The only stop line I saw was in the initial few frames, some distance before the JV's green traffic light.
I suspect the camera focal length is apparently stretching distances in the video, and in real life the initial turn of the van must have looked much closer (and more alarming) to JV than it appears here.

As the to the other comments....
Barely 2.5 seconds after the van starts to turn, there's already a gap behind it through which JV can "safely" pass. I like to think I would be cautious and hang back at this point, but I'm sure that many London cyclists would just steam through there .

JV doesn't just steam through, he slows considerably and even sounds his horn (HC Rule 112 says to use a horn to warn other road users of your presence).
Unfortunately, JV's warning is ignored, and we see the result.

Ultimately, either party could have prevented this near tradgedy just by being more cautious/observant, but I think only one party could potentially face charges for his actions in that video.

It's sobering how quickly the situation developed; we can all take something away from that.

Top Bottom