Another Jeremy Vine video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Willing to get crushed in defence of the highway code....how noble of Vine.Right or wrong it looked like he had time to stop for me ?

It's just similar to left turning vehicles. The highway code now says give way to cyclists approaching from behind, let them pass first, or some such. Given most left turning drivers don't look in their mirror, it's a way to get yourself squashed. I've seen two instances where the cyclist if following a car which is indicating left. Cyclist then proceeded to undertake the car and then get's knocked off. The 'code' say's the cyclist was right, but it's a quick way of getting squashed by 'following the rule'. You've got to anticipate that people do stupid stuff, or don't know the rules.

I've had two vehicles this week who were aware I was behind them, and were hesitant of turning left because they had seen me behind. I waited for them to turn.

gcogger

The van driver was negligent and the police should get involved.
JV was an idiot, who will likely end up injured or worse one day if he doesn't change the way he cycles.

The 2 statements are not mutually exclusive.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The van driver was negligent and the police should get involved.
JV was an idiot, who will likely end up injured or worse one day if he doesn't change the way he cycles.

The 2 statements are not mutually exclusive.

Negligence is generally a civil matter. Criminal negligence exists, but relies on someone knowing they were doing something wrong which consequentially harms someone else. In this case it's pretty clear it was a mistake, not the wilful ignoring of a turn prohibition.

Not everything needs the BiB to be summoned. JV got his footage. The driver got a fright. Both may reflect on their part in matters, one hopes.

gcogger

Negligence is generally a civil matter. Criminal negligence exists, but relies on someone knowing they were doing something wrong which consequentially harms someone else. In this case it's pretty clear it was a mistake, not the wilful ignoring of a turn prohibition.

Not everything needs the BiB to be summoned. JV got his footage. The driver got a fright. Both may reflect on their part in matters, one hopes.

Not entirely sure if we're disagreeing here? From https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/negligent

negligent "not being careful or giving enough attention to people or things that are your responsibility"

Seems to cover it IMHO.

As to the police, I guess that's a matter of opinion, but given that he reversed over a bike (and very nearly a person), I'd say that submitting the video footage to the police would be a good idea here. People on this forum usually encourage that for far less serious events.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not entirely sure if we're disagreeing here? From https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/negligent

negligent "not being careful or giving enough attention to people or things that are your responsibility"

Seems to cover it IMHO.

As to the police, I guess that's a matter of opinion, but given that he reversed over a bike (and very nearly a person), I'd say that submitting the video footage to the police would be a good idea here. People on this forum usually encourage that for far less serious events.

Me being pedantic in legal terms re your use of 'negligent', and also disagreeing regarding the need for the Police to be involved.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Left turns can be a problem for drivers on some occasions.
Union St., Aberdeen driving west with a bus lane and cyclists on my left I had to make a left turn and a cyclist appeared from behind a stopped bus. I did see him but he was clearly worried I had not and hesitated while I waited on him to pass inside. I was not willing to risk turning while he was still moving. I can understand some drivers may not have good visibility on the nearside with older motorhomes for example.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m never convinced by this “unfamiliar road” excuse.

The road signs are there to be seen and understood. Knowledge of a road’s layout shouldn’t be a prerequisite for attentive driving.

Maybe people are using satnavs more and their eyes less.

srj10

Guru
I would like to think that I would have stopped when I seen that van taking a wrong turn and waited to see what his next move would be before risking crossing. Bad driving and cycling in my view.

Mike_P

Guru
Looking it up their seems to be a requirement that a bicycle shall stop from 15 mph within a distance of 4.57 m (15 ft). Going by the street view photo I would think anyone by the time they reacted could be at the entry to the yellow box so the issue would be JV was going too fast, a matter I suspect common to many cyclists seeing a green light and not expecting an illegal manoeuvre to take place.

presta

Guru
I think the fisheye lens makes it quite difficult to see the perspective here, but on the face of it I think he was unwise to get close behind a van in that situation.
I can't see that, he's blocked me.
I suspect he stopped to complain.
Yup, that's how to get blocked. :laugh:

His face didn't betray that when we saw him briefly at the end of the clip.
He did look quite shaken up.
You've got to anticipate that people do stupid stuff
The DoT could do that when they put cycle paths up the nearside of traffic turning left.
I’m never convinced by this “unfamiliar road” excuse.
Some junctions are a confusing dog's dinner, with some it can be difficult to see how you should have approached them until you're leaving the exit.
Looking it up their seems to be a requirement that a bicycle shall stop from 15 mph within a distance of 4.57 m (15 ft).
A bit more than that.
BS EN ISO 4210-2 specifies a braking force of 340N for a City/Trekking bike, or 425N for a Road/MTB bike, from 25km/h with 100kg minimum all-up weight, giving stopping distances of 7.09m & 5.67m respectively.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Something feels quite uncomfortable about the great debater that is JV, who likes to stir a bit of controversy - well quite a lot really - blocking people who disagree with his actions.

Top Bottom