Cyclist down - London (Mile End Rd) hit & run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the Evening Standard:

A cyclist was seriously injured in a hit-and-run crash involving a driver who was being chased by police.

The man was rushed to hospital with a head injury after the late-night crash in Mile End, east London.

The Met said the driver of the car, which was being pursued by a marked police car, fled the scene but a suspect was arrested “a short while later”. He remained in police custody this morning.

A spokeswoman said: “At 11.30pm on Thursday, 17 December, officers in a marked police vehicle were following a car in Mile End Road.

“The car was in collision with a cyclist and the driver fled the scene.

“London Ambulance Service attended and treated the male cyclist for a head injury. He was taken to an east London hospital where he remains in a serious condition.”

GC

Lonestar

Veteran
Awful hope cyclist GWS.:hugs:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The driver should be in line for causing serious injury by dangerous driving which can carry a decent stretch.

sidevalve

Über Member
This sort of thing has always worried me. Police bang on about highly trained drivers and maybe so but the twonk in the runaway isn't. Apart from anything else [if we put injuries aside for the mo] who pays for any damage ? This also applies to other drivers too - m/cyclists even householders if the to--er runs into your garden wall. The criminal has no insurance and probably no money so any prosecution for compo is useless. Suggest air to ground missiles in a police helicopter - quick and final. In this case it might not help the guy get better but it would be a big satisfaction.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
This sort of thing has always worried me. Police bang on about highly trained drivers and maybe so but the twonk in the runaway isn't. Apart from anything else [if we put injuries aside for the mo] who pays for any damage ? This also applies to other drivers too - m/cyclists even householders if the to--er runs into your garden wall. The criminal has no insurance and probably no money so any prosecution for compo is useless. Suggest air to ground missiles in a police helicopter - quick and final. In this case it might not help the guy get better but it would be a big satisfaction.

Its a tricky subject where lines drawn in the sand arent very clear...

In all honesty, the police should accept responsibility as it was their decision to pursue the suspect through busy roads and built up areas where the risk to other civilians is quite high. Police are supposed to back off if they think their suspect will be a risk to other members of the public - No chase = less stressed out suspect driving like a twat trying to escape from the police.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its a tricky subject where lines drawn in the sand arent very clear...

In all honesty, the police should accept responsibility as it was their decision to pursue the suspect through busy roads and built up areas where the risk to other civilians is quite high. Police are supposed to back off if they think their suspect will be a risk to other members of the public - No chase = less stressed out suspect driving like a twat trying to escape from the police.

You are correct in saying the police should back off if they think the public are in danger, and they do. Often that decision is taken out of their hands by someone sat in a control room who is under a lot less stress than the driver.

But we dont know any details at all about this accident and so it is hard to speculate and apportion blame. The term "police chase" can be misleading. I have been involved in many " police chases" at 30 mph and below and I am sure many of the police officers on here have.

I wish the cyclist a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom