Cyclist down on my commute home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I watched the poor sod get bulldozed by the driver of a car last night at a crossroads on the way home.

Driver had clearly ignored/failed to see give way signs and markings and T-boned the rider (on the main road) hard from the left, firing the bike across the road and putting the rider up the bonnet and onto the windscreen before spitting him off onto the roadway when the car came to a halt.

Fortunately he wasn't seriously injured, although cut and bruised, and I'm sure he'll be really aching today.

Driver was apologetic but couldn't/wouldn't explain blasting through the junction. I suspect an in-car distraction like radio, satnav or even a phone but have no evidence of that.

I can't think of another explanation; the junction is broad, well-lit and the rider & bike had good lights and lots of reflective material. No matter what you do to stay as safe as possible, your life is in the hands of twats.

Oh aye, #ShareTheRoad.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hope the Police were called? I'd have called them and given a statement.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Ditto, the after effects of an incident like that can be very debilitating for the bike rider not to mention the potential damage to the bike.

Rider declined to involve police at the scene but did call them later. The driver's obliged to notify police anyway although we all know that doesn't always happen.
He has my details and I've already prepared a witness statement for the police, should they contact me.

His bike's a write-off.

On the plus side, my Fly12 captured the event which I've copied to disk for him. Hopefully that'll make sure there's no funny business when it comes time for the driver to cough up for his bike and injuries.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You and the victim ought to tell the Police anyway; the driver could have "form" and this may be all they need to get him off the road.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Update:
As expected, the driver balked at the £800 replacement cost of the ruined bike and offered to pay only the insurance excess amount of £200 in cash and "call it quits". Some folk have a brass neck!

The rider wisely bypassed the driver and gave the video of the collision straight to the insurers and made a claim for his injuries (which he'd initially been reluctant to do). Without quibble they have replaced the bike and agreed an injury settlement of over £2k.

Bike cams can get a bad reaction from some forum members but they can be extremely useful tools in this type of situation.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Good job you were there GC. :thumbsup: Hope the cyclist appreciates your involvement.
Must admit I have been edging towards a bike cam after a couple of recent incidents.

Bike cams can get a bad reaction from some forum members but they can be extremely useful tools in this type of situation.

Cameras are fine, and I think would solve a lot of issues if they're in all vehicles. I prefer that option to "trackers".

The issue is when the camera is attached to a YouTube nobber. Glad he had the right outcome though, anything from the police with regards to charging the driver?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

The issue is when the camera is attached to a YouTube nobber.

I don't use mine for that, only for corroboration of things that risk my safety and I want action on from the police (so far only once). Other than that it's been provided to the cops on four occasions for the benefit of third parties (three RTCs and one of vandalism/disorder where some yoofs were throwing bottles at, and kicking, passing cars).

anything from the police with regards to charging the driver?

I didn't ask, I think if they'd done anything he'd mention it. Maybe I'll ask next time we meet.

Alan O

Über Member
Nice one, glasgowcyclist.

I had pondered the idea of a cam, and having read about this outcome which very likely wouldn't have turned out so well without your video evidence, I think a cheap cam would be a small price to pay for the potential benefit - increasing awareness that more and more of us are carrying cams can only be a good thing.

(And I don't have a YouTube account and have no intention of getting one, so I'm safe on that score.)

Top Bottom