Cyclist Down - Quietway 1 in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCh

Über Member
Helped a cyclist this morning who had been knocked off along Q1 route by an Uber driver who failed to stop at a give way and ploughed in to the cyclist who had right of way. Poor lad had a pretty heavy fall, hit the side of his head/face, ribs, elbow and leg as he went down and looked a bit bashed up. His front wheel was totally mangled by the car too. Uber driver was saying that he wasn't a bad man and that he had a bike at home so could give this guy a new wheel. He started saying that some cyclists are bad and riding badly, which felt like he was starting to wriggle out of any culpability, but hopefully not. Another Uber driver arrived and also started slagging off cyclists too, without actually recognising that his mate hadn't stopped when he should have done. The slagging off of generic cyclists is a nasty trait that is becoming more common, and often an attempt to shift blame. I'm not sure what the answer is, given the "us v them" nature of drivers and cyclists in this country.

The injured guy said he was fine, but he will be sore as hell later when the adrenaline wears off.

Never good to see that sort of thing, but hope he gets everything sorted.

vickster

Legendary Member
I hope the police attended and paramedics called. Not least to start the paper trail for a claim

I hope the police attended and paramedics called. Not least to start the paper trail for a claim
yes - important that it's all reported/made official whatever the other party says/however nice they might appear at the time - and at the time they might mean it - but human failings/nature and all.

A neighbour of mine came off in a hit with a car. Driver all sweet as pie, admitted blame, then (can't remember exact details) wiggled out of it/e. VITAL to exchange details/get pics/call police while the other party is co-operative, not tempted (in extreme cases) to cross the Atlantic after "best advice".

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
AndyCh

AndyCh

Über Member
I suggested he called the police, although he didn't seem to keen. Perhaps a bit naive, thinking that the driver was going to be cooperative. It already had the signs of him agreeing to sweet fa after the event. There were witnesses, so man down has a couple of people to call on if ne heeds it.
However, I know from bitter experience that doesn't always get you the right outcome.

Top Bottom