Cyclist down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Good luck with the legal route fluffy (push for criminal proceedings as well as a civil claim) and I hope you make a full recovery.

How come your right shoulder got busted and not your left - did you turn to the left on impact?

Looking at the bike, it looks like he hit the top tube in the middle, which means I was almost past the car, he hit the left hand side and I fell to the right very hard.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Looking at the bike, it looks like he hit the top tube in the middle, which means I was almost past the car, he hit the left hand side and I fell to the right very hard.

I see - it was the secondary impact with the tarmac that did the damage. I think you were lucky to escape without more serious injuries (if you'd hit the door straight on or if a car had been following, you'd be in serious trouble).

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

I see - it was the secondary impact with the tarmac that did the damage. I think you were lucky to escape without more serious injuries (if you'd hit the door straight on or if a car had been following, you'd be in serious trouble).

My thoughts exactly, in bed last night I had a lot of flashbacks and what if's going through my mind.

Svendo

Guru
It was on Oldham Road opposite the Prince Albert pub and near the Lincoln Inn

I have a claim on the go, waiting to hear back.

I know it well, I live just round the corner and cycle down there all the time to and from work. I presume he was in the parking bays by the kebab shops. You get a lot of people pulling up outside ChaCha's snack bar on the double yellows too, and I'm usually a bit more wary there as they tend to be a bit more hurried and careless.

Hope you heal quickly. Assuming the Moton's insurer's accept liability, you'll likely get an interim payment for bike and other equipment fairly quickly. The amount for injuries and so on will take longer, and this isn't a bad thing as you want to be sure you're completely better before settling finally, as you can't later go back on it if it turns out there's ongoing problems you didn't realise at the time. My claim took a year or so for final settlement. Don't forget to keep receipts for everything, taxis, especially. Also a tip to have some blank taxi receipts and a bookies pen as half the time the minicab drivers round here don't have one or the other.

Again, commiserations and good luck!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry to hear of your off and injuries. There are a fair few cyclists getting taken down at the moment. Did some one post a sticky about what to do in the event of being taken down by a moton? As yet again there will be 10 pages of repitition of what to do. Nothing against this but it would be easier if there was a page for those offed wanting to know what they should do and what happens next a few pages where everything is succinctly explained.

You start it, I'll sticky it.

Nice and succinct, as you say. People can then add personal experience where it helps or expands on the basics.

I know all I know about this sort of thing, from here. I hope never to have to use it...

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Update: Been to the fracture clinic today and I need an operation on my broken clavicle.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Take it easy and I hope you have a swift recovery..I hope the driver gets what's coming to them.

Good luck and take time to get better

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll have to agree with what the others have said, get what happenned down on paper. At this stage it won't matter what it looks like or what your writing on. You can make it a little bit more readable later, as well as making copies.

I found much of what I wrote down the night I was hit made no sense to anyone but me. Simple things like "SU/SU/stop/L-R/Him/me? Was me asking the question at the time of "Do I slow up speed up, or stop. Turn left or right & what would the driver do."

As regards the driver & vehicle, have you considered making a fee paying enquiry to the DVLA as regards the owner of the vehicle? You have the registration. Just in case the driver wasn't insured to drive the vehicle. Pictures better taken with a still camera rather than a video camera.

Whatever way you go about keeping records try & keep hold of the origional & use copies where possible.

Top Bottom