Cyclist headbutts pedestrian.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Why? Don't we get enough of that from people with an anti-cyclist prejudice? Of course it's bad that someone hit someone else, but meanwhile people are getting killed by poorly-driven cars and trucks, or by snipers in various wars, so surely that should worry us more?

To quote a shamed cyclist. Its not about the bike. I would feel exactly the same if the man had been walking / in a car / driving a van etc.

You do not deal with prejudice by trying to create prejudice against other groups. You deal with prejudice by your actions out there on your bike day in day out, by:

- Not jumping red lights
- Not shouting at pedestrians for making small errors of judgement, just bite your tongue
- Thanking dog walkers who stop and move to the side on shared footpaths
- Not cycling several people abreast on busy roads
- etc and so forth

Most people dislike cyclists because they have experienced the actions of a mindless few. The better the rest of us are as cyclists and people the better our image as a whole will be. Of course there will be people that hate us no matter what, and that we can do nothing about.

Smudge

Veteran
I think it looks like the pedestrian "gave him the verbal's" and then continued when the bloke on the bike came back, seemed to be a lot of gesturing before the bloke headbutted him. Not condoning the bloke on the bikes action but we don't know what the 'City Worker' said to provoke the bloke into attacking him.

From watching the vid, thats what i suspect happened. Cyclists just misses pedestrian on crossing, pedestrian gobs off at cyclist for doing so, cyclist then loses his rag and assaults pedestrian.

GetFatty

Über Member
To quote a shamed cyclist. Its not about the bike. I would feel exactly the same if the man had been walking / in a car / driving a van etc.

You do not deal with prejudice by trying to create prejudice against other groups. You deal with prejudice by your actions out there on your bike day in day out, by:

- Not jumping red lights
- Not shouting at pedestrians for making small errors of judgement, just bite your tongue
- Thanking dog walkers who stop and move to the side on shared footpaths
- etc and so forth

Most people dislike cyclists because they have experienced the actions of a mindless few. The better the rest of us are as cyclists and people the better our image as a whole will be. Of course there will be people that hate us no matter what, and that we can do nothing about.
While I agree with quite a lot of the above I feel it's time to break out :popcorn:

Dommo

Veteran
Agree with it all except :

Shouting abuse at pedestrians = bad. Informing them that they have made a mistake in stepping out in front of you is not if the phone-reading muppet never even realised....

On the cycling two abreast point, I had a moronic white van driver shouting at me and hitting his horn earlier this week because I dared to maintain some slight pace to roll past another cyclist approaching a red light. The fact that we had to stop at the lights and had 30 seconds to discuss the concept didn't seem to occur to him that maybe it was all a bit pointless...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Maybe it's just keyboard warriors, but choose another non cycling forum & start a thread in defence of a cyclist & see.

You mean like the Taxi Drivers against Pollution forum?

D

Deleted member 26715

You mean like the Taxi Drivers against Pollution forum?
That's a new one on my, but even on some moderate car forums there are a few who get very upset/
Incidents of this type are only going to become more frequent until we get autonomous bicycles:sad:.
No I think it's until we collectively decide that the level of Policing in this country to too low & we demand that the Politicians put more Police back on the street

I know that road well. I use it when I go up to Old street. I’m not sure the cyclist actually did run a red light. The traffic lights along there have vehicular traffic lights ( the big ones ), pedestrian lights ( the ones with people shaped lights), and cycle lights ( little round ones, on the actual post ). It’s possible that the rider was on a green bike light, the traffic had stopped, for its red light, and the ped was crossing on a red, ped light. However, that doesn’t excuse the reaction of the bloke on the bike. ‘Sticks and stones ( and oblivious ped’s) may break my bones, but words will never hurt me’ a head butt will also break bones. He should have just ignored anything the ped said, and carried on riding.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you look at the video carefully you can see the crossing light for pedestrians change from green to red as the thug gets back on his bike - there is no doubt that the cyclist jumped the lights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you look at the video carefully you can see the crossing light for pedestrians change from green to red as the thug gets back on his bike - there is no doubt that the cyclist jumped the lights.
It's irrelevant to the reckless riding and the assault which are both still wrong no matter what lights, but some junctions do show conflicting greens - sometimes by mistake, sometimes by design.

Top Bottom