Cyclist holding onto car....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2 idiots

Siclo

Veteran
Did the driver get done as well?

Yes £350 fine for careless.

It's near me and I've ridden the bridge thousands of times.

The cyclist is telling porkies, he's coming down Warby bridge and says the motorist pulled out of a side road in front of him. There are no side roads on Warby bridge. The nearest side road is a mile from there and on a 50mph road which would be flowing freely at that time of day, no way he'd have kept pace up the main road and then up the fairly steep approach to the top of the bridge. (edit: unless he's been holding on since Hollins Green or Rixton, which is just mind blowing)

The top of the bridge is a fecking nightmare for cyclists, it's been a barney on the crest/ blind bend, usually a close pass job, the motorist will be rushing to try and get through the 10p toll before the booth opens and the cyclist can hold pace due to the descent and the really shoot road surface limiting the drivers speed.

Pair of muppets.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yes £350 fine for careless.

It's near me and I've ridden the bridge thousands of times.

The cyclist is telling porkies, he's coming down Warby bridge and says the motorist pulled out of a side road in front of him. There are no side roads on Warby bridge. The nearest side road is a mile from there and on a 50mph road which would be flowing freely at that time of day, no way he'd have kept pace up the main road and then up the fairly steep approach to the top of the bridge. (edit: unless he's been holding on since Hollins Green or Rixton, which is just mind blowing)

The top of the bridge is a fecking nightmare for cyclists, it's been a barney on the crest/ blind bend, usually a close pass job, the motorist will be rushing to try and get through the 10p toll before the booth opens and the cyclist can hold pace due to the descent and the really shoot road surface limiting the drivers speed.

Pair of muppets.
I read it they were coming onto the bridge from the Lymm/ Partington side ie before the toll. I presume the car driver pulled out of the junction from the cyclist`s right, which started it all.

Siclo

Veteran
I read it they were coming onto the bridge from the Lymm/ Partington side ie before the toll. I presume the car driver pulled out of the junction from the cyclist`s right, which started it all.

You're right, I shouldn't post after a glass of vino, as that makes my post codswallop, apart from the bridge is still a nightmare and they're both still muppets

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
You're right, I shouldn't post after a glass of vino, as that makes my post codswallop, apart from the bridge is still a nightmare and they're both still muppets
Oh yeah, I agree on that. The thread brought back memories to me from over thirty years ago, when I was a hoodlum in an open top two seater. The toll used to be un-manned after 9pm and I was careering down off the bridge at 9.30pm one evening and came round the bend to be confronted by the barrier being down. Massive screech of brakes and I ducked below my windscreen and went under the barrier. The elderly lady on the toll was very surprised when I reversed and paid! I can't remember how much the toll was, but it was peanuts. Happy days.

Siclo

Veteran
My old commute was Cadishead to Wythenshawe so I had the choice of the bridge or Carrington Lane via Urmston locks, lots of near death experiences on both, Mr Boardman's project has fixed that now with the path from Urmston to Ashton removing that Hobsons choice. I note that the old viaduct from Cadishead to Partington is on his proposed list, I really hope that one comes off as I've been banging on about it's potential for years.

bladderhead

Drivers are almost always competent and polite and I do not have it in for drivers. Not all of them, anyway. Occasionally I have felt as though I was treated with utter contempt by a driver. Not nice being treated like a dog turd, but you just have to accept it. Drivers have the advantage in a situation like this. They can just hit you on the head with a toll booth if they like. The only thing to do is try to learn some zen.

At least the driver pleaded guilty. Maybe he was not concentrating and drove badly before the toll booth. Maybe he felt bad enough about it to be more careful in fufure. Maybe he just thinks that being collared is an occupational hazard of hitting cyclists with toll booths.

Top Bottom