Cyclist injured in Edinburgh today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Will1962 said:
The stop line for the lights on Roseburn Street is about 20m back from the junction, which means that it takes a little bit longer for cars to clear the junction after crossing the stop line.

All the more reason for the driver to look as s/he is turning right on to Roseburn Terrace. It is a nasty junction and on which I have avoided in the past.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
My route's Russell Road, Roseburn Street, Roseburn Place on the way in and the reverse on the way out. Turning from Street into Place is always fun as some idiot always wants to try and dash out onto Roseburn Street and get onto Roseburn Terrace before the lights change. Always a risk they'll just pull right out into me as I'm about to turn right into the road they're coming out of.

Always have to be extra vigilant there in the evenings. In the mornings I'm so early that the roads round there are usually dead, except for the odd bucket lorry or taxi.

Worst part of that area for me is where Russell Road takes the 90-degree left just by the post office depot. In the evenings, there are so many cars parked on that bend that traffic is usually one-way only, with the other side pulling in to let the traffic going the other way get by. There's always an idiot wants to try and overtake me when there's only a single lane moving and no space to pass. I see they'd be frustrated if I was holding them up, but I'm only ever a max of a just over a car's length away from the vehicle in front (daren't go closer with the number of sudden stops and starts).

It's a road that encourages dangerous driving by anyone who hates seeing a bike in front of them.

gavintc

Guru
My wife has just called. It seems that the cyclist is one of her colleagues. She has been out of office for the last few days and only just heard the news this lunch time. She had no details other that those reported in the Scotsman.

milkyboy

Hi I'm new to this site. I'm the next door neighbour to the injured cyclist and also train with the guy sometimes. His name is Tam McKay and lives on Portobello Road he was out on a training ride when he was hit. He's currrently in the Western under sedation due to the extensive head injuries he's received. We think he was wearing a helmet at the time but nobody can find it at the moment. Nobody knows who is to blame at this point.

milkyboy said:
Hi I'm new to this site. I'm the next door neighbour to the injured cyclist and also train with the guy sometimes. His name is Tam McKay and lives on Portobello Road he was out on a training ride when he was hit. He's currrently in the Western under sedation due to the extensive head injuries he's received. We think he was wearing a helmet at the time but nobody can find it at the moment. Nobody knows who is to blame at this point.

Hi,

Are you sure this is the same cyclist? This thread was from April 2008. I know there was a cyclist hurt in Edinburgh today. Is this Tam, or was the cyclist from April.

Whatever, I wish them both full recoveries.

I did wonder as I have posted on this thread under a different name and also domtyler posted here as well.He doesn't seem to post here anymore.;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
milkyboy said:

Sorry to hear that - hope Tam makes a full recovery. Was it a complete accident or was the driver at fault ?

Top Bottom