Cyclist killed on dual carriageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've ridden dual carriageways a fair bit in daylight - in fact an esteemed ride leader used to take us down one now and again east of l.ondon where there were few other routes. Plenty of room for drivers to pass in the other lane. I've used it by myself.

However running very late once on a camping trip I did use one heading for Thanet in the dark - very hairy.

Not something I'd be keen to do again.

RIP - I stress that I'm not blaming the cyclist.

Take care folks.

DRM

Guru
Late at night you don't generally need the drivers to expect to see a cyclist on a DC. A blinky back light that can be seen a mile off, will generally be seen a mile off, due to the road geometries that go with supporting high speeds.

Now, if a driver is drunk or has fallen asleep, that's not necessarily going to help, but that's not simply "not expecting".
I did say you should expect the unexpected when driving, the A19 is very,very busy, and goes from very rural with tractors, to skirting several towns/cities back to rural, it is also one of the longer A roads, it goes from Doncaster through York, the length of the North Yorks Moors, Teesside, Sunderland, crosses the Tyne at the tunnel and ends in Cramlington Northumberland and carries a lot of trucks day and night, it’s the speeds as well, some drivers think they can do what they want.

Top Bottom