Cyclist killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
magnatom said:
RIP! :angry:

Please lets not speculate as to what happened. We weren't there so it is impossible to know.

My thoughts are with the cyclists friends and family. xx(
I'm with Magnatom on this. It is very sad for those who knew both cyclist and truck driver but only they know what happened and, maybe, who or what was the cause.

Any loss of life is a sad thing.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I passed by only minutes after it happened, which i find rather a scary thought.

Kirst

Hairy Jock said:
There are far to many of these railing along that road put there for "road safety" reasons. I just the wish the council would learn that these are death traps and take them out. From the information given, I think he must have been intending to go strait ahead towards the University and was left hooked by the truck, with no escape route.

The original reports on Tuesday and Wednesday said he and the lorry were stopped at the lights and then both were turning left when the incident occurred. That junction's about 2 minutes from my flat, it's not a particularly unpleasant one. It's a horrible incident and my sympathies are with the family and the lorry driver, who must be devastated.

hodsgod

Origamist said:
An insensitive and pathetic contribution to this thread.
I dont think it is insensitive, it is bloody good advice, it doesn't matter whos fault it is if you are lying on a slab.

Origamist

Legendary Member
hodsgod said:
I dont think it is insensitive, it is bloody good advice, it doesn't matter whos fault it is if you are lying on a slab.

Yeah, it's fantastic advice and I'm sure a relative of the deceased wouldn't be offended by the inference that their son/brother had "fu**ed" with a truck when none of us know the full circumstances of the collision.

dodgy

Isn't it ironic that this particular type of street furniture is put into place to improve safety?
Tragic news, people (particularly novices) need to understand the dangers of being left hooked.
Dave.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
dodgy said:
Isn't it ironic that this particular type of street furniture is put into place to improve safety?

Pedestrian railings aren't put in place to improve safety, their only purpose is to make it easier for motor vehicles to drive faster.

dodgy

I'd argue that they are put there to improve safety, or at least that's what the misguided intention is.

Dave.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
I'd argue that they are put there to improve safety, or at least that's what the misguided intention is.

Dave.

Read the folowing paper:

Pedestrian Guard Railing:
A Review of Criteria for Installation
by P. Zheng and R.D.Hall
(Transportation Research Group)
Contract No: 1505

It makes for interesting reading as the danger of guard railing to cyclists is known, but not discussed...

dodgy

I haven't read that article, but I hope people here don't think I'm somehow in favour of pedestrian railings? I'm just pointing out that they're put there because someone, somewhere (presumably someone that either makes them or pays for them) believes they contribute to safety. I bet if you challenged their installation with a council and asked why they're in place you'd get the stock answer "for safety purposes".

I hope I've cleared that up!

Dave.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hi Dave, yes, I assumed that was your stance. I just took the opportunity to point out that these railings are put in for the benefit of drivers, and create serious inconvenience to pedestrians and no safety benefit to the public overall. I'm rather against them as you can imagine.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Hi Dave, yes, I assumed that was your stance. I just took the opportunity to point out that these railings are put in for the benefit of drivers, and create serious inconvenience to pedestrians and no safety benefit to the public overall. I'm rather against them as you can imagine.

As is often the case, things are a bit more complex and murky than BM makes out. I'd seriously recommend reading the report.

Top Bottom