Cyclist kills pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mr_cellophane said:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=208306&in_page_id=34

He was on the pavement, how dangerous is that ? Where is the jail sentence ?

If the facts are correct (and we always need to be wary of newspaper articles) then it is shocking that more serious charges are not being considered.

Manslaughter perhaps?

Of course it is possible that the pedestrian did intentionally step in front of the cyclist. However, he should not have been there in the first place and at the very least the option that he was completely at fault and thus guilty of manslaughter should be investigated.

Sympathies for the young girls family.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You can't do 20 mph on the pavement... even my 7 year old gets told that he has to give way to any pedestrians (not that he does 20 mph yet). I think he should face dangerous cycling in these circumstances, not just a fine.

pinkkaz

Veteran
My reading of the article was (from his point of view):

- Going 20mph on the road, shouts at group of kids to get out of the road
- They get out of the way, he keeps going
- Girl steps out in front - he mows her down
- H mounts the pavement (which the witness sees when he looks behind)
- He tries to perform cpr

I only formed this impression when it gets to the end of the article and puts in a few more "facts". The article certainly starts off by giving the impression he was cycling on the pavement, but if you read it it does not actually say this.

Of course, we don't know the facts yet, but I'm getting a sensationalist reporting vibe here...

domtyler

Über Member
If he was cycling on the pavement then he definitely deserves to be banged up for a long time. If he was on the road then I don't see why a £2,000 is applicable.

jely

true, you never know what really happened... it's just a terrible tragedy no matter who is right or wrong and i feel for everyone involved

dodgy

How many other riders here have had teenagers play chicken with them? It's happened to me loads of times.

Not saying the rider in this story is in some way right, I don't think he is at all based on what we know right now. But teenagers do have a certain penchant for this kind of thing.

Dave.

domtyler

Über Member
liambauckham said:
"Rhiannon and eight of her friends were walking to a chip shop after drinking beer in a park."

group of chavs by the sound of it

There is simply no need for brain dead comments like this! :evil:

jely

liambauckham said:
"Rhiannon and eight of her friends were walking to a chip shop after drinking beer in a park."

group of chavs by the sound of it

chavs, white collars, blue collars... doesn't matter. the loss of a life is a tragedy

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
dodgy said:
How many other riders here have had teenagers play chicken with them? It's happened to me loads of times.
Endemic on Parrs Wood road in Manchester, fwiw. Personally, I move further out into the road, as relatively few are willing to play chicken with motor traffic as well (although as Fossy will testify, knowing the same stretch of road, it's not entirely unheard of - I seem to remember him having seen them trying to face down Freelanders on occasion...).

If it happened on the road, according to the Highway code, if a pedestrian has started to cross the road one must slow down and let them cross. He was wrong whether it was the road or the pavement.

A tragic loss of life but is it more or less tragic than the deaths of the other 9 people who died on our roads that day.

And I hate to say it but since few (if any) motorists get ever sent to prison for killing peds why should he? Unless we think that killing someone with a bicycle on the pavement is somehow worse than killing them with a car on the pavement.

cupoftea

Don’t forget we don’t know the full facts and I doubt the press will publish them.

No one should die, but we've all had kids playing chicken with us and you can only do so much. Kids think this sort of behaviour is funny like playing on the railway lines etc

A couple of years ago a 6 year old stepped into the in front of me trying to get me to crash or pull out into the path of another vehicle.

What got me was he did this in front of his parents and when I shouted at him to get out of the road ( I did not swear ) his parents had a go, the usual "what's it got to do with you"

Oh and this was on the dual carriageway heading into Stratford from central London.

If I’d hit him then it would have legally been my fault as peds are allowed in the road and as such that’s probably why this guy is only getting a £2000 fine rather than prison.

Don’t forget that the lorry driver that killed that cyclist turning left last year whilst reading a newspaper was only fined £500

Top Bottom