Cyclist leapt for safety on Blackfriars bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/blackfriars-cyclist-collision-last.html

AN6437034Mystery+cyclist+le.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm,

There is a very strong case for not using the cycle lane and sticking to the main road at that junction - just enforces my view in that cycle lanes aren't worth the paint on the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I read that too - you can't think people see you. Certainly had one this morning - they sometimes see you, but still pull out/turn. Well worth riding as traffic at junctions like that. Many cyclists think these painted lanes actually mean something - they don't - she shouldn't have even been at the side of a big truck to start with, lane or not.

ditto - the few times ive been that way in the past few years ive inched myself into the traffic - the layout is very similar to what you you see in many european countries - however, without any protection for cyclists - inevitable that there will be incidents

400bhp

Guru
I read that too - you can't think people see you. Certainly had one this morning - they sometimes see you, but still pull out/turn. Well worth riding as traffic at junctions like that. Many cyclists think these painted lanes actually mean something - they don't - she shouldn't have even been at the side of a big truck to start with, lane or not.

Would be interesting to see how she takes this junction following the incident.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
North side of the bridge I take it...The layout is bloody awful and dangerous.Not impressed.

IMHO.

I cycled there one Saturday night a year or two ago and there had been two accidents involving cars and a bus.

Mike!

Guru
Going down the inside of a large vehicle whether it's indicating or not is asking for trouble, don't blame the road!

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Going down the inside of a large vehicle whether it's indicating or not is asking for trouble, don't blame the road!

Did this person go down the side of the vehicle though or did the lorry just overtake and throw a left?

Would agree,looks like I didn't read the article properly?

Mike!

Guru
Did this person go down the side of the vehicle though or did the lorry just overtake and throw a left?
A quote from the text on that link;

On reaching the red traffic lights at the junction of Blackfriars Bridge and Victoria Embankment I stopped behind three or four cyclists in the cycle lane, waiting to go straight ahead. I was next to next to a truck as were the cyclists ahead of me. The truck was indicating left.

Don't get me wrong, i'm more than glad she wasn't seriously hurt or worse but....

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
A quote from the text on that link;

On reaching the red traffic lights at the junction of Blackfriars Bridge and Victoria Embankment I stopped behind three or four cyclists in the cycle lane, waiting to go straight ahead. I was next to next to a truck as were the cyclists ahead of me. The truck was indicating left.

Don't get me wrong, i'm more than glad she wasn't seriously hurt or worse but....

I know,I didn't read it properly.Sorry.:whistle:

The thing is I see this sort of thing all the time and I guess so does everyone else.

Mike!

Guru
I know,I didn't read it properly.Sorry.:whistle:

The thing is I see this sort of thing all the time and I guess so does everyone else.
Me too, even in Sleepy Suffolk!

People really need to take responsibility for their own safety by actually looking at their surroundings rather than following others or road markings / traffic signals etc like sheep and assuming everyone else will get out of their way.

Minor rant over ^_^

Reactions: 4F
I agree with the post above that she might have been more circumspect - however - the layout encourages cyclists to think that left turning traffic will give way - which it probably does on many occasions - ive noticed in London that 1) cyclists often just follow the lead 2) taking a more cautious approach often leaves one open to abuse from the cyclists behind

Hip Priest

Veteran

I know that, and you know that, but many inexperienced cyclists make the not unreasonable assumption that if they're in a cycle lane, they're ok. Therein lies the problem with our cycling infrastructure.

Top Bottom