Cyclist may sue tram firm after rails cause injury after fall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

rosscbrown

So because tie are owned by the council that means I can ring them about my bins not being collected? I think not. At the end of the day tram tracks are there. If there isn't enough warning of there presence it is up to the council to put up signs or paint something and not the company that manages the tram lines (even if they are owned by the council)

I'm sure "tie" would be more than happy to help out with your bins - they are very much in to PR and "community engagement". Still, a better way for marking the abrupt start of the line could perhaps defuse any future issues. In this case, it is not clear if the incident happened right at the beginning of the line, or further down the road.

What does the highway code suggest, in terms of signage, for "abruptly beginning semi-complete tram lines ahead"?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I just find some of the arguments on here a bit daft. Trams are not ubiquitous in some of the places elsewhere in the world. We got rid of much of our extensive tram network decades ago. To go from no trams, to suddenly trams in a few places (not extensive) you most certainly need the odd warning sign where they've designed it badly such as swerves across lanes with no warning. Especially for in the dark and when there's tarmac. It seems a good idea putting in warnings. People will get used to them on some level eventually.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hey, let's remove all the warning signs from electrical substations, as it's completely obvious they're dangerous.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If anyone thinks I'm saying don't put signs up. I'm not. Just saying you would probably get a better result if you go to the council.

I am positive there are sensible solutions to reduce tramline incidents, such as markings to indicate lines of best approach, as mentioned in the OP [educate motorists about these as well so they hang back]. Would it be possible to coat the tracks in these areas with a high friction coating?

marcw

I'm not sure there is much you can do apart from avoid them, as the most vulnerable road user you often don't get to choose where you cycle as you have to avoid idiots in cars other road users. A sign is no use if you trying to avoid someone doing a 3 point turn.

On the other hand Amsterdam is covered in them and they seem to get along ok (not that I know many dutch people)

U

User482

In Bristol, we have part of the national cycle network going along and across old tram tracks by the harbourside. I know of two people who've been hospitalised after jamming their front wheels. Sustrans and the council have proved impervious to requests to alter the route or fill in the tracks

The sad thing is that this rider fell as she caught the wheel in the track.

This is easily remedied - there is a compressing filling that stops this happening, if it was not fitted then perhaps there is a case to answer

marinyork

The sad thing is that this rider fell as she caught the wheel in the track.

This is easily remedied - there is a compressing filling that stops this happening, if it was not fitted then perhaps there is a case to answer

This is correct. Unfortunately tram companies and local authorities are against fitting them.

Coco

If anyone thinks I'm saying don't put signs up. I'm not. Just saying you would probably get a better result if you go to the council.

AFAIK the tram system is still being built so it seems reasonable to go to the company that is building it. 

marinyork

They have an ounce of common sense. :tongue:

But seriously? I hope she recovers quickly, but don't sue a tram company for having tram lines?

It's like suing starbucks because you burnt yourself from a coffee.

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Tram companies design tram routes. Tram companies are told not to design routes in a way that makes it even more dangerous for cyclists. Tram companies do it anyway. Tram company and council refuse to put in safety measures. Then Edinburgh is stupid enough to copy all of that :biggrin:. The legal action is reasonable. It's Tie's own stupid fault.

marinyork

I'm gonna disagree with you there.

surely it's not only me that thinks it's common sense to avoid the tracks?

So you're disagreeing with people that have campaigned for years on this issue on the rather simplistic idea that it's common sense to avoid the tracks?

I have this absolutely brilliant one for you. Why did the chicken cross the road?

Christ in hell, I'll leave then.

What is it with people when winter draws in. :S

And yeah I'm going to disagree with people who campaign for years. Just because people campaign doesn't mean they are right. People campaigned to have the lockerbie bomber released. That wasn't right imo.

Top Bottom