Cyclist Nicknames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
"The Butterfly" for Dumoulin is absolutely terrible. It suggests a lightweight climber who has the ability to vanish up a mountain without his rivals quite realising what's happened. Pedro Delgado, 1988/89 vintage?

Perhaps more than anyone who's come along since, Dumoulin's style reminds me of Eddy Merckx. The name that stuck with Merckx was "The Cannibal", so maybe Dumoulin could be "The Headhunter".

My suggestions are all scatological in nature
Pitstop Tom,
the Defecator,
Du-poo-lin,
Thr'p'nies,
"il cagatore",
the "Manure Meister from Maastricht" might be a bit of a mouthful

Mine would be The Procrastinator

oldroadman

Veteran
We'll all know of the Cannibal, The Eagle of Toledo, the Badger...but some cyclists had some bonkers nicknames, and some of them a long list of alternatives:

Carlo Galetti fell into the former, known as The Squirrel of the Canals
Ferdy Kubler fell into the latter, being known as: The Eagle of Adilswil, The Nose, Rabid Ferdy, The Cycling Cowboy, Cyrano, The Mad Cyclist, Ferdy the Stallion, Mr. 100,000 Volts, The Magnificent One

I've been left at home with nothing but an old cowboy movie and the internet for company....

Was Ferdi also known as "le pedaleur de charme", or was that someone else back in the 40s/50s?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Surely, as anybody who's seen American Pie will tell you, Dumoulin's nickname should be "Sh!tbreak"?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tim Declercq - The Tractor - http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/meet-tim-el-tractor-declercq/2997

Roundup of 13 - how many can you get before you look at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/13-of-the-strangest-nicknames-in-cycling-196995 ? Some have already appeared above:
The Butterfly of Maastricht
Der Panzerwagen
The Second Best Climber in the World
The Seagull
Cash Register
The Yoyo
Mr 100,000 Volts
The Watchmaker of Avila
Moncoucou
Barbie
The Condor of Varsseveld
The Squirrel of the Canals/The Human Stopwatch
Dr Teeth
plus the ones from the comments that I've seen before:
Yogi
Cuddles
Vader

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Here's one from today's stage of the Dauphiné

The race is approaching La Clayette where Edvald Boasson Hagen won stage 3 of the 2012 Critérium du Dauphiné in a bunch sprint after a long breakaway by a Spanish duo formed of the "Andalucian lynx" Luis Angel Maté and Basque rider Egoi Martinez.

Imerio Massignan was "the Spider of the Dolomites", which I discovered whilst reading a book* by Herbie Sykes about Franco Balmamion, "the Eagle of the Caravese"

* it's a very good book, well worth reading, not your usual biography as it covers a number of rider's stories and not just Balmamion.

Top Bottom