Cyclist on M62

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Funny how there's never a cop car around every morning to film when I see a car in the bike lane.

robjh

Legendary Member
If, somehow, in an area you didn't know you ended up accidentally turning onto a motorway (I know, you'll say it wouldn't happen, but suppose it did), what would you do?
Walk back on the hard shoulder to the previous exit, or cycle like mad to the next, hoping to make it before a police car got to you? Either way doesn't look great.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
If, somehow, in an area you didn't know you ended up accidentally turning onto a motorway (I know, you'll say it woudn't happen, but suppose it did), what would you do?
Walk back on the hard shoulder to the previous exit, or cycle like mad to the next, hoping to make it before a police car got to you? Either way doesn't look great.
Been there, done that, in NL. I kept going once I realised my error, only about 5km fortunately. I was tooted a couple of times but didn’t feel in any danger.

robjh

Legendary Member
Been there, done that, in NL. I kept going once I realised my error, only about 5km fortunately. I was tooted a couple of times but didn’t feel in any danger.
Yes, happened to me too in Bulgaria. I still don't know if it was a real motorway but it felt like one, and I was being honked by cars. I kept going.
And on a no-bikes expressway in Italy too come to think of it, in the dark.

Brandane

Legendary Member
who had filmed the daft cyclist riding along the hard shoulder of the M62 - just inches from cars travelling at 60mph.

Legality apart, I would rather cycle along the hard shoulder of a motorway than any trunk road you care to mention, where you are inches away from cars travelling at 60 mph (70 on a dual carriageway) without the luxury of your own lane!

Edit to add DC limit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
If, somehow, in an area you didn't know you ended up accidentally turning onto a motorway (I know, you'll say it wouldn't happen, but suppose it did), what would you do?
In all honesty I'd have stopped on the slip road entry, and walked back when it was safe/clear, at least it would be more plausible to tell the police if you were seen to admit to dropping a clanger but you were rectifying it immediately, rather than carrying on regardless.

Top Bottom