Cyclist Palsy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I’m just back from a weeks touring in Holland with a mate. A fabulous week if a little windy. It was plan B as we had planned to cycle through the Hebrides. Definitely the right decision. However my mate has come back with a very weak left hand and can’t close his little finger to his ring finger. He can’t do his job as mechanic on classic cars at the moment and as he is self employed this is an issue. It has been identified as cyclist palsy and I wondered if anyone else has suffered from this and how long it took to recover?

midlife

Guru
Not come across that one before but not an expert... People who are given crutches etc on the NHS are given instructions on use as holding them badly or for prolonged periods an cause pressure on nerves in the hand and cause finger weakness

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Not come across that one before but not an expert... People who are given crutches etc on the NHS are given instructions on use as holding them badly or for prolonged periods an cause pressure on nerves in the hand and cause finger weakness
This is caused by pressure on the ulnar nerve so sounds very similar

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I can relate to this exactly. I have just come back off the Tuscany road 2018 ride. 550km in 3 days and I have exactly the same problem as your friend.

It is caused by pressure on the Ulna nerve, I believe. I have spoken to a few ultra distance riders and they say it is a common problem. I have lost half off the power in my left hand and have a pins and needles type of feeling. The guys have told me that normal feeling will return in a couple of weeks and if it doesnt to go and see the doctor.

Your friend needs to examine his whole riding position, starting with pedal/saddle/bars, then look at the bar shape and contours. The grips should support most of the weight across the middle of the palm, not the outer edge.
On my drop bar brake levers I stuff bits of inner tube under the rubber to re-profile for better mid palm support.
Gloves can help but only if the rest of the problem has been addressed.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
Median nerve rather than ulnar.
Median-Nerve.jpg

The blue area receives its sensory supply from the median nerve. It also provides a motor supply to the small muscles around the thumb.

Pressure from handlebars leads to "bruising" and diminished function for a while.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I can relate to this exactly. I have just come back off the Tuscany road 2018 ride. 550km in 3 days and I have exactly the same problem as your friend.

It is caused by pressure on the Ulna nerve, I believe. I have spoken to a few ultra distance riders and they say it is a common problem. I have lost half off the power in my left hand and have a pins and needles type of feeling. The guys have told me that normal feeling will return in a couple of weeks and if it doesnt to go and see the doctor.
Thanks for this I hope you recover soon

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Your friend needs to examine his whole riding position, starting with pedal/saddle/bars, then look at the bar shape and contours. The grips should support most of the weight across the middle of the palm, not the outer edge.
On my drop bar brake levers I stuff bits of inner tube under the rubber to re-profile for better mid palm support.
Gloves can help but only if the rest of the problem has been addressed.
Thanks for the advice I’ll pass it on.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’m just back from a weeks touring in Holland with a mate. A fabulous week if a little windy. It was plan B as we had planned to cycle through the Hebrides. Definitely the right decision. However my mate has come back with a very weak left hand and can’t close his little finger to his ring finger. He can’t do his job as mechanic on classic cars at the moment and as he is self employed this is an issue. It has been identified as cyclist palsy and I wondered if anyone else has suffered from this and how long it took to recover?
Not cycling through the Outer Hebrides is never a good decision.

Before I read this I thought it could be some kind of joke post.

Actually very interesting actually. I receive numbness when riding in these fingers, and assumed it was too much pressure/ weight on ulnar never - looking at those pictures it seems it could be bad position/stretching of the ulnar nerve..

I will try to think about this when next out and it starts and have more trying to change positionsort etc..
I do still think it's too much pressure as one pair of gloves I bought seemed to stop it, but I lost them and forgot which they were (doh)

Nice reading though. Never had it prolonged but deforestation same sort of thing.

Top Bottom