Cyclist, please "Dip, don't dazzle."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen C

Über Member
I had one last week that had what seemed like a strobe light for a front light, which wouldn't be too bad if he didn't decide to sit on my back wheel. It made me feel sick, especially with it reflecting of all the street signs, I have no idea how he put up with it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had one last week that had what seemed like a strobe light for a front light, which wouldn't be too bad if he didn't decide to sit on my back wheel. It made me feel sick, especially with it reflecting of all the street signs, I have no idea how he put up with it!

Don't get me started on cyclists using strobe lighting...:ninja:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get me started on cyclists using strobe lighting...:ninja:

There are a few who use these on the path I use. Very tempted to strobe them back just so they can see how blinding it is. Fortunately the strobe is on a long press on my two Chinese lights, so never gets used. It's been used the odd time a driver cuts me up, so pop it on strobe for a second just so they remember I was there.

Biscuitfrisky

i agree with the lights being pointed more towards the ground, makes no sense having it so high that it doesn't help you read the road.

However I use the strobe light effect, and I works well in alerting drivers that I am filtering through the traffic.

That seems to be the point that everyone is missing, we have the lights to make it as hard as possible for drivers not to see us.

If my happy hardcore strobe effect light bothers you, I'd rather that than a constant beam that a driver could mistake for the car behind them in traffic and manoeuvre into my path.

Katherine

Guru
i agree with the lights being pointed more towards the ground, makes no sense having it so high that it doesn't help you read the road.

However I use the strobe light effect, and I works well in alerting drivers that I am filtering through the traffic.

That seems to be the point that everyone is missing, we have the lights to make it as hard as possible for drivers not to see us.

If my happy hardcore strobe effect light bothers you, I'd rather that than a constant beam that a driver could mistake for the car behind them in traffic and manoeuvre into my path.
There's a difference between being bothered by your light and being dazzled by it, which is why everyone is complaining.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

You don't get many motor vehicles on cycle paths which a lot of the above complaints are about, and you end up much closer to the cyclist that is coming the opposite direction than you would on the road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

They're simply not needed on the road or bike paths where a normal flashing light will do. I'm only bothered by them when they are set at face height. Aim them at the ground, it's not hard.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I find a bright flashing rear light makes a great sprint training aid - because I'm desperate to overtake the dickhead in front of me and get it out of my face!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That won't work. The driver willl manoeuvre anyway and if they hit you, they'll simply say they were disorientated by your illegal dazzling light and get off scot free. There's no substitute for being far enough away and ready to take avoiding action.

Crankarm

Guru

If you do actually do this then you are a menace. If you did it to me as I approached you, you would either get by car headlights on full beam or my Max D light full beam in your face on strobe and you would NOT like this.

Crankarm

Guru
I find a bright flashing rear light makes a great sprint training aid - because I'm desperate to overtake the dickhead in front of me and get it out of my face!

All flashing bike lights - front or rear should be banned. Period. LED lights are more than powerful enough and long lasting to have them on constant mode.

Who started this flashing bike light craze anyway?

This always amuses me........ especially as the main point is missed entirely

It is down to the fact that manufacturers are allowed to get away with selling the lights that they do

If lights had properly focussed beams with a "cutoff" at the top then most of the issues would be solved in one fell swoop

BUt it is far easier to blame other cyclists for the shortcomings of the manufacturers

This always amuses me........ especially as the main point is missed entirely

It is down to the fact that manufacturers are allowed to get away with selling the lights that they do

If lights had properly focussed beams with a "cutoff" at the top then most of the issues would be solved in one fell swoop

BUt it is far easier to blame other cyclists for the shortcomings of the manufacturers

Most of the issues but not all, lights with a cut off can still dazzle if not angled correctly.

BigAl68

Über Member
I hate the light lunatics. I no longer meet the one I would always pass at 5.30am or maybe my constant shouting at him actually got him to change his behaviour. And as others do I have a very bright cree monster that only ever goes on half power and a smaller one that is pointed towards the curb and the big one goes off as I see other bikes, dog walkers etc.

And as for the strobe light nobbers... I loved a good strobe light in the early 90s but then I was in a nightclub raving not riding to work. :music::dance:

Top Bottom