Cyclist rear ended: another question.

dondare

Über Member
Location
London

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDctAUT3KZ4


So now we've all seen this clip and been astounded by the reaction from the general ignorant public. But here's a non-VED question: should the cyclist have pulled out into the path of the overtaking vehicle (as he did) or should he have waited for it to pass him first and then pulled out?

The cyclist was very experienced and so was not going to make elementary errors regarding speed and distance of other vehicles. He looked behind. Then he pulled out. Then he was hit.

The driver should have anticipated this and slowed down, but no road user should perform an action that requires others to slow down if they can avoid doing so. One comment on the youtube site is that the cyclist was deliberately punishing the driver behind him for the illegal parking; which might have a hint of truth in it.
 
The car behind wasn't yet overtaking, and they cannot expect someone to stop for them to overtake :/ The car should have been more aware of the parked car.

Cyclist moved out early enough, but yes it was visible that the car behind was moved over.

If you look at the end, the position of the car is back in the correct line of traffic... did they move back in before they hit the cyclist?

Also, look at how long it took him to get hit after seeing the car pulled out.

Considering how open that road is, I would have kept a stronger position as much as possible from the start.
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
Absolutely NO reason for that motorist to hit the cyclist. Blowing of horns maybe.

Stopping distance at 30 mph is 75 ft.

I think the motorist had a nasty streak of malice then.

Take that vid straight to the Police station.
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Quite right Jim,
However I think the motorist was just not paying attention, simple as that. Either on mobile, radio or CD, lighting fag, whatever.


jimboalee said:
Absolutely NO reason for that motorist to hit the cyclist.

Stopping distance at 20 mph is 40 ft.

I think the motorist had a nasty streak of malice then.

Take that vid straight to the Police station.
 

scouserinlondon

Senior Member
totally agree with Jim. From the video the Cyclist appeared to be out in primary in lots of time for the car to either slow down or pass. Vike can correct me, but driving without due care and attention surely?

I tend to get out into primary too early in some motorists opinion, in fact a lady driving a driving school car (with a child in the back not strapped in) this morning beeped at me. She got the V's and an argument of course, but I'd rather have arguments about when to get into primary than get run over.
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
ianrauk said:
Quite right Jim,
However I think the motorist was just not paying attention, simple as that. Either on mobile, radio or CD, lighting fag, whatever.
I've since updated my post to reflect the motorist's speed and stopping distance. Doesn't make much difference though, enough tarmac to stop.
 

Twenty Inch

New Member
Location
Behind a desk
dondare said:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDctAUT3KZ4


So now we've all seen this clip and been astounded by the reaction from the general ignorant public. But here's a non-VED question: should the cyclist have pulled out into the path of the overtaking vehicle (as he did) or should he have waited for it to pass him first and then pulled out?

The cyclist was very experienced and so was not going to make elementary errors regarding speed and distance of other vehicles. He looked behind. Then he pulled out. Then he was hit.

The driver should have anticipated this and slowed down, but no road user should perform an action that requires others to slow down if they can avoid doing so. One comment on the youtube site is that the cyclist was deliberately punishing the driver behind him for the illegal parking; which might have a hint of truth in it.

You're joking, aren't you? Deliberately punish a driver by throwing my soft squishy body at his merc?

The driver of the merc cannot have been paying attention. It's a pretty shocking video.
 

Origamist

Legendary Member
Location
Sandbach
You're not the same dondare that posted this a few days ago are you!?

Don't reinforce this attitude by suggesting that it's the cyclist's own responsibility to avoid being killed or injured rather than the motorist's responsibility to take care not to kill or injure cyclists.
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
I've been rear-ended in my car about half a dozen times in the past thirty something years of motoring.

The last occasion happened just after last Christmas when a driver was reading a map trying to find the location of a party.

You see, some of them can't even spot a bright red metal box with it's brake lights on.

This is one reason why I keep away from the main stream of traffic, moving over to 'Primary', ONLY when necessary.
 
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
Location
London
Twenty Inch said:
You're joking, aren't you? Deliberately punish a driver by throwing my soft squishy body at his merc?

The driver of the merc cannot have been paying attention. It's a pretty shocking video.
Not joking as such. The thought going through the cyclist's head might have been "It's a car blocking me, so it's the car that can wait".
He wasn't expecting to be hit, just to make the driver behind slow down.

I hate having to "give way to parked cars" and I move out, sometimes to the annoyance of following drivers. I ride wide of parked cars, sometimes to the annoyance of following drivers. My feeling is that if they want more room to drive on the road then they shouldn't use it as a storage facility for their unused cars as well. But it is the driver behind, not the owner of the parked car, who is being inconvenienced.
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
I ride that road regularly & there's no excuse for that, the road is wide though with good but not great visibility due to the fact he's in a 40 limit not a 30. As for some of the comments well get a clue please.
 
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
Location
London
Origamist said:
You're not the same dondare that posted this a few days ago are you!?
Only one Dondare.
I have also posted recently "Don't cause accidents and don't become part of someone else's" or words to that effect.
Think of it this way, if a motorist moved across your path to get round an obstruction and you went into the back of them, who's fault would you consider that to be?
 
dondare said:
Not joking as such. The thought going through the cyclist's head might have been "It's a car blocking me, so it's the car that can wait".
He wasn't expecting to be hit, just to make the driver behind slow down.

I hate having to "give way to parked cars" and I move out, sometimes to the annoyance of following drivers. I ride wide of parked cars, sometimes to the annoyance of following drivers. My feeling is that if they want more room to drive on the road then they shouldn't use it as a storage facility for their unused cars as well. But it is the driver behind, not the owner of the parked car, who is being inconvenienced.
No matter how I am moving, I don't get around something purposely wanting the car behind to slow, I expect them to slow, if needed, and proceed safely.

You wouldn't be in a car, expecting to slow down to let a car pass you before you pass a car in front... so why should a bike be any different.



Of course it's an inconvience to the driver behind, but the blame is the car parked on the road and it affect us all... and we should all take it equaly, passing one at a time, no one needs to give way, to pull over, etc, simples
 

Origamist

Legendary Member
Location
Sandbach
dondare said:
Only one Dondare.
I have also posted recently "Don't cause accidents and don't become part of someone else's" or words to that effect.
Think of it this way, if a motorist moved across your path to get round an obstruction and you went into the back of them, who's fault would you consider that to be?
Mine. Next.
 

NigC

New Member
Location
Surrey
I think if I'd seen a car that close to me when looking round, I wouldn't have pulled out. But having said that, there seemed like an ecredibly long pause between him pulling out and getting hit, so maybe the camera makes it seem closer than it really is :smile: And because of that pause, I'd say the driver had plenty of time to avoid this accident.
 
Top Bottom