Cyclist threatened with legal action over near miss posting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Before the BBB talked about the letter in his channel the video had had about 450 views over a couple of months. After the BBB comment the number of views went to about 40000 in 12 hours.

They really should have known better.

79k views now. I just watched it - mainly in order to add one to the total.

I was looking at my ceiling the other day, thinking "What this room needs is some fibrous plasterwork, cornices and corbels, that sort of thing". I won't be going to Cornices Centre now.

Drago

Legendary Member
According to Road C.C. today, a cyclist who did the above and sent the footage to the owners of the van in question; the firm's name / logo was visible in the footage. He was expecting an apology of some description, but apparently was threatened with legal action as he was deemed by said firm to be besmirching the prospective sales and good will of the company - !

I'd be calling their bluff on that one. No one threatens me and gets away without some kind of consequence.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
According to Road C.C. today, a cyclist who did the above and sent the footage to the owners of the van in question; the firm's name / logo was visible in the footage. He was expecting an apology of some description, but apparently was threatened with legal action as he was deemed by said firm to be besmirching the prospective sales and good will of the company - !
The great thing about being a lawyer is that you can make up all sort of legal b*ll*cks, and at least some of the time, some of the people will believe you.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would have said "Get on with it. I would love to see you in court. If you want publicity. Just see what happens when the papers, cycling mags and internet get wind of it". The boss must be as big twat as the driver appears to be. Maybe its the same person. 😁

He should have also pointed out the driver was overtaking on zigzag zag lines.

Last edited:

Emanresu

In watching the video, isn't the speed limit 20 mph. There is a warning sign at about 0:34 which I can't make out but the driver doesn't look like they were doing 20.

Good afternoon,

I see the whole situation quite differently.

I have acquired a base assumption that riders with helmet cameras will be in the wrong most of the time they complain, they may technically be correct but they were probably riding in an anitsocial manner.

This dislike come from my experiences that many->most riders with them have them because they ride badly, insist on their legal rights without regard or consideration to anything or anyone else and as a result get into more awkward positions.

That video hasn't altered that starting point.

As for the company's response I quite like the stop whining you silly self important little man response, how would the rider have reacted if the van owning company had sent him a letter saying your riding was dangerous?

As a general principle the idea that a video posted with the text see this dangerous driving could be libellous seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I also suspect that there will be more upside from people thinking thank goodness for someone having the courage to tell that annoying cycle brigade to shut up than downside from people annoyed by the response.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
I note the threats are in an email from a company director, making, as noted, baseless threats about libel and trademark infringement (creative but still drivel). This seems the partially informed ranting of an insufficiently qualified bully. An example of Dunning-Kruger as well as Streisand effects?

Drago

Legendary Member
As a general principle the idea that a video posted with the text see this dangerous driving could be libellous seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Surely, by that measure, you suggesting it may be a libellous act on the part of the cyclist is itself an act of libel against the cyclist?

Civil law is based upon the balance of probabilities. The video speaks for itself, and that you're the only diseenter on the entire thread would suggest that balance of probability threshold has been well exceeded.

Being truthful is not in anyway a libellous act, no matter how much it might disadvantage the subject.

markemark

Über Member
Good afternoon,

I see the whole situation quite differently.

I have acquired a base assumption that riders with helmet cameras will be in the wrong most of the time they complain, they may technically be correct but they were probably riding in an anitsocial manner.

This dislike come from my experiences that many->most riders with them have them because they ride badly, insist on their legal rights without regard or consideration to anything or anyone else and as a result get into more awkward positions.

That video hasn't altered that starting point.

As for the company's response I quite like the stop whining you silly self important little man response, how would the rider have reacted if the van owning company had sent him a letter saying your riding was dangerous?

I also suspect that there will be more upside from people thinking thank goodness for someone having the courage to tell that annoying cycle brigade to shut up than downside from people annoyed by the response.

Bye

Ian

Was the overtake safe? Does it matter whether the cyclists was right or wrong to be there?

If I am late and see someone who annoys me, is it ok for me to endanger their life deliberately? Maybe someone is walking slowly near the platform edge ant a train station and oblivious to me. Am I ok to barge past, running the risk of knocking them onto the tracks because I need to walk to the car park quickly?

A really annoying old couple in tesco insisted on paying slowly with cash and chatting knowing I’m in a hurry. Did everything they could to not see how much of a hurry I’m in. Am i ok to brush past them with my car when the crossed the road on the way out as I was in a hurry?

Top Bottom