Cyclist using his mobile phone loses his teeth after crashing into gate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
If he had the gumption he would have braced himself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Neil Greig, Director of Policy and Research at road safety experts IAM Roadsmart said: ‘This footage shows that distraction from smartphones causes exactly the same problems for cyclists as it does for drivers."

That's odd. I think the cyclist injured himself, whereas phoney motorists injure others and mostly escape unharmed. Is that the Institute for the Advancement of Motoring showing its true colours, calling for more anti cycling law?

Perhaps a law on making gates more visible in the dark is called for too :rolleyes:
Just remind them that high viz don't work in the dark, it's reflective tape they want... but then it gets light at the same time every morning so they need high vis anyway... so the gate will need a reversible jacket/sleeve thingy. High Viz on one side, reflectives on the other. We'll also need an army of people to fit and reverse the special sleeves at Dawn and Dusk every day. The tax payers will not be happy.

midlife

Guru
That could cost the NHS a few bob.....

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"Neil Greig, Director of Policy and Research at road safety experts IAM Roadsmart said: ‘This footage shows that distraction from smartphones causes exactly the same problems for cyclists as it does for drivers."

That's odd. I think the cyclist injured himself, whereas phoney motorists injure others and mostly escape unharmed.

True.

You're unlikely ever to hear that a cyclist has run into a queue of traffic and wiped out a family of four through use of a phone.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5151130, member: 259"]You see a fair few people in Antwerp riding bikes holding conversations on mobiles and umbrellas simultaneously and they seem to get on OK.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure holding conversations on umbrellas can ever be OK.

[QUOTE 5151130, member: 259"]In most of the Netherlands nobody would bat an eyelid, and they'd probably have a heavy bag of shopping hanging off of one bar grip to boot. I've never managed to get the hang of doing that.[/QUOTE]
I've done it. Wide handlebars help, but you have to be very very very cautious turning else the swinging bag can do strange things to the steering and if you get it wrong, it can swing into the spokes and probably tear the bag open, dumping the shopping on the cycleway. If you're really unlucky, it'll stop the wheel and skid you. Panniers are better. Even rucksacks. Baskets are OK but heavy bags will exceed their weight limit and other odd things can happen then.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just remind them that high viz don't work in the dark, it's reflective tape they want... but then it gets light at the same time every morning so they need high vis anyway... so the gate will need a reversible jacket/sleeve thingy. High Viz on one side, reflectives on the other. We'll also need an army of people to fit and reverse the special sleeves at Dawn and Dusk every day. The tax payers will not be happy.
Replace the black with reflective paint/covering.
143689235405_Light_Cab.jpg

Top Bottom