Cyclists and headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So if you're looking at all the stuff on your list (which is all forward facing I notice) when do you have time to look behind you? Good idea to keep your ears open too, no?

Sorry but as I said before: to deliberately remove a key sense when cycling is madness to me. It's like eating with a peg on your nose

Unless I'm making a move in the road (changing lane, turning, overtaking), I really don't care what's behind me. I'll glance behind to keep aware of how busy the road is and always check before making a move. But on the open road and if I'm in a good position on the road (usually secondary) I just assume that somewhere behind there is a car and at some point they will overtake. Nothing really to see or listen out for.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Unless I'm making a move in the road (changing lane, turning, overtaking), I really don't care what's behind me. I'll glance behind to keep aware of how busy the road is and always check before making a move. But on the open road and if I'm in a good position on the road (usually secondary) I just assume that somewhere behind there is a car and at some point they will overtake. Nothing really to see or listen out for.
Ok in London there is ALWAYS something in front of you, alongside you and behind you. You need to get used to having all your wits and senses about you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If people are going to suggest that my decision to wear headphones is 'dangerous' and that I am, by implication 'crazy' they'd better have a decent argument. And I haven't seen one yet.

This is not really representative of general cycling (I don't have much of an opinion on the matter really), but if riding in a group, you are relying on those on the front to spot hazards (pot hole, recessed man hole cover, wet/slippery man hole cover, gravel etc) and to signal, this propagates down the line. Sometimes it is not possible to signal with your hands and a shout is required. If you are wearing headphones your ability to comprehend the call is impaired, thus you may hit whatever the person at the front advised you to avoid. Or you may fail to propagate the call down the line and someone else may hit it if you are lucky enough to miss it.

This is not really representative of general cycling (I don't have much of an opinion on the matter really), but if riding in a group, you are relying on those on the front to spot hazards (pot hole, recessed man hole cover, wet/slippery man hole cover, gravel etc) and to signal, this propagates down the line. Sometimes it is not possible to signal with your hands and a shout is required. If you are wearing headphones your ability to comprehend the call is impaired, thus you may hit whatever the person at the front advised you to avoid. Or you may fail to propagate the call down the line and someone else may hit it if you are lucky enough to miss it.

Nobody wears headphones on group rides. That is, not if the want to be invited on the group ride again.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Again, doesn't matter. They can sit there and fume and rev all they like. The attitude of the driver behind should never distract you from the road ahead.
But they don't sit there and fume do they? They attempt to squeeze past. They can wind themselves into a state where physical attack may become likely. Yes while you're lying on the ground you can shout "I was right" at them.

Nothing distracts me from my environment not just what's in front of me

Again my question is why would you deliberately remove a useful sense from the equation?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
In 2005, a senior manager in my workplace was killed while cycling into work. It was part of a 20+ mile route that he had cycled regularly for years.

Witnesses described him pulling straight out of a road junction into the path of a oncoming car. The car was not travelling at excessive speed and the driver had no chance to avoid him. Why he pulled out into the path of oncoming traffic is a mystery. However, his earphones and player were found smashed in the road and it was thought he was probably wearing them at the time.

The inquest drew no conclusion as to whether the earphones were a contributory factor but I can't help feeling that he might be alive now if he had a chance to hear the car rather than just not register it visually. The car was in clear sight so perhaps he was just in a world of his own while cycling a route he knew backwards - a situation that would not be helped by wrapping yourself up in a separate audio environment.

His death shook us all up - he was a really nice guy and a champion and supporter of cycling generally. Like others here, I just think to deprive yourself of a key sense that helps to warn of very real dangers is just not worth it.

John

But they don't sit there and fume do they? They attempt to squeeze past. They can wind themselves into a state where physical attack may become likely. Yes while you're lying on the ground you can shout "I was right" at them.

Nothing distracts me from my environment not just what's in front of me

Again my question is why would you deliberately remove a useful sense from the equation?

I don't find the data I receive through my ears while cycling useful. I feel I 'see' everything I need.

And I don't care what they try and do. 99.9% of drivers will not hit you on purpose and will do all they can to avoid hitting you. Regardless of how much they rage, rant and fume.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'm still with Martin & User. Hearing gives some clues to add to what I can see. Sometimes its stuff I would have seen if I'd not been focussed on higher priorities like potholes or the tw*nt in front. Other times it's stuff I cannot see yet 'cos it's concealed by a buildig/bend/large vehicle or whatever.

If others feel they don't need those clues then fairynuff

green1

Über Member
I well aware of that, but i can't ride around with my head permanently turned to the side. I suffer from tinnitus and wind noise makes it considerably worse, hence why I wear earphones. I tried earplugs once but they blocked out too much noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom