Cyclists and headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edwardd67

Really noticing an increase in cyclist wearing headphones while cycling.With and without helmets, on and off the pavement and going through Red lights.
Not just commuters but guys and girls you'd think should know better!!

Never do it,to dangerous.
helps not having an mp3 player or whatever, the only thing I have is a Nokia N95 with Endomondo on it, no one knows the number except the OH, just ordered aBryton Rider 35, so not sure I will be taking the phone when I get that sorted.

Pauluk

edwardd67 said:
Not just commuters but guys and girls you'd think should know better!!
You'd think. Ignoramuses come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and sometimes ride cycles unfortunately.

green1

Über Member
I ride with them in, I find music helps me keep a tempo. I have the music pretty low so i can still hear traffic and find that i can hear more of whats going on around me as they remove wind noise. Each to their own and all that.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Been wearing headphones off and on for thirty years.
Never wear a helmet.
Never been hit by a car.
If you don't notice a couple of tonnes of metal, then being able to hear isn't going to save your bacon.
Honestly, it's one of the more pointless topics out there...

AndyPeace

Personaly I don't, I like to sense everything around me, but it is no different to having a car stereo playing whilst driving. As long as you have presence of mind on the road then its no issue.

defy-one

Interesting point about reducing wind noise,so actually helps you hear cars. I shall try this today,without music. Prefer to enjoy whats going on around me

I wear an MP3 headphone in my left ear on rural rides and have yet to be taken by surprise by approaching traffic.

That sounds like a line from a Carry On film, but isn't meant to.

I do wonder at folk I see in crowded city traffic with both cans on and a far-away look in their eyes.... But it's not something I get very cross about.

Recent research has suggested that closing the car window compromises driver hearing to a similar level as headphones in cyclists

Should we not be vociferously campaigning against this irresponsible closing of car windows?

tadpole

I used to ride listening to music. Everything from Classical to pop and (real) punk (none of this greeday sh@t) I find I could hear everything I needed to hear, and it didn't cause me any problems on the road. But I also found it slowed me down, and meant I was not working as hard as I wanted to. So I stopped about 8 months ago, I don't miss it. AS if is it safe, as safe as a car radio or bluetooth phone, or drinking coffee and driving a car.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I normally listen to music on my commute. and never have any problems. As long as you are sensible and have it on at a reasonable volume then I can't see a problem. I can still hear the changing of gears and whirring cassettes of bikes coming up behind me, so hearing cars really isn't ever going to be an issue.

The more of these types of thread I read the closer I come to the conclusion that some folk can happily cope with music while riding and others simply can't. For those that can't cope to try to impose their limitations on the rest of us just seems bonkers to me.

redcard

Veteran
I normally listen to music on my commute. and never have any problems. As long as you are sensible and have it on at a reasonable volume then I can't see a problem. I can still hear the changing of gears and whirring cassettes of bikes coming up behind me, so hearing cars really isn't ever going to be an issue.

The more of these types of thread I read the closer I come to the conclusion that some folk can happily cope with music while riding and others simply can't. For those that can't cope to try to impose their limitations on the rest of us just seems bonkers to me.

There's many terrible drivers and many awful cyclists who have never had a crash.

Don't pretend you're a great rider because you haven't killed anyone.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That may be so but doesn't alter the fact that I can still hear everything I need to at all times. I just can't see a problem, so I guess it's just another case of each to their own and all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom