Cyclists and littering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
when I started cycling in the 1980s, cycling was definitely a minority sport.

I have seen it grow steadily until the last 5 years or so, when it boomed into a mainstream sport for all.

Over this time, and especially recently, I've seen an ever increasing amount of litter (energy gel packets etc.) along country roads and on trails. The issue of litter (thrown by cyclists) has always been there, but was always very small scale indeed, but with the ever increasing number of cyclists, the amount of rubbish is getting silly in many areas.

Surely this needs to be addressed before cyclists get a bad name for this type of behaviour.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Inexcusable childish behaviour.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'll hold my hands up and admit, there have been times I have lobbed a gel packet! Generally I put any litter (little bit of cling film) up my short leg, banana skins back in my jersey pocket, gel packets, usually wedged somewhere on the bike so I don't get sticky pockets etc, but on occasion when they have been exceptionally sticky, or if I all of a sudden needed free hands I have lobbed it. No excuse, poor behaviour on my part, but I have done it and chances are there will be some occasions in the future when I do it again, albeit few and far between.

Kies

Banana skins i throw back at mother nature. Anything else goes back into pockets or bins (if i can find one)

geo

Tricky one this,fruit leftovers always get tossed to the fields and I cant see a problem with that at all. paper goes in the back pocket the tricky ones for me are gel packets, as they tend to be a bit sticky / messy I dont want to shove them in my pockets and I must be honest I do tend to throw them aside (wrong I completely agree ) I ease my conscience by the fact I dont use them very often only on very long rides which i dont do too often. to wrap them in cling film or the likes would mean stopping so I dont see much of an option ! open to suggestions though as I really do hate litter

PK99

Legendary Member
I chuck banana skins, usually try to make sure they go into some thick vegetation. Being biodegradable I've always assumed this was ok, thoughts?

tucked away somewhere not visible seems ok to me. tossed in a hedge for all to see = littering

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tricky one this,fruit leftovers always get tossed to the fields and I cant see a problem with that at all. paper goes in the back pocket the tricky ones for me are gel packets, as they tend to be a bit sticky / messy I dont want to shove them in my pockets and I must be honest I do tend to throw them aside (wrong I completely agree ) I ease my conscience by the fact I dont use them very often only on very long rides which i dont do too often. to wrap them in cling film or the likes would mean stopping so I dont see much of an option ! open to suggestions though as I really do hate litter

Take a small sandwich bag or suchlike to put the empty wrappers in.

Top Bottom