Cyclists blocked from Bolton Abbey estate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Despite receiving generous tax relief for accepting visitors into his land the Duke of Devonshire has stepped up measures to prevent cyclists using the Wooden Bridge on the estate leading to a popular cycling café.
https://road.cc/content/news/duke-devonshire-bans-bikes-estate-282993

1620037259720.png

mm - bad - if he's concerned about pedestrian safety he can always have an appropriate sign.
unlikely to be a real issue for solo cyclists.
The national trust doesn't like folk cycling through knowle park in sevenoaks and has some tricky gates to discourage it.
I know ways in though - couldn't possible say how on a family friendly forum.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Damn - we used to go that way on the Spring Into The Dales audax!

Storiths Lane on that side of the river is a lovely quiet road down from Burnsall via Appletreewick. You can see Cavendish Pavilion (where the cafe is) in the middle of the picture below, on the other side of the Wharfe.)

The B6160 on the other side of the valley isn't awful, but it has been busy with tourist traffic a few times when I have ridden on it. It doesn't have the same relaxed feel as Storiths Lane.

The estate is happy to have many hundreds of motorists go down that access road on the left and pay thousands of pounds in parking fees for the privilege, but cyclists who don't have to pay - let them eat cake... Their own cake, not the cafe's, and somewhere else! :cursing:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Despite receiving generous tax relief for accepting visitors into his land the Duke of Devonshire has stepped up measures to prevent cyclists using the Wooden Bridge on the estate leading to a popular cycling café.
https://road.cc/content/news/duke-devonshire-bans-bikes-estate-282993

View attachment 587016

hmm.. the sign says, "no access to cyclists" does that mean you cannot even walk down the path to the cafe? Since, presumably, even off your bike, you are still a "cyclist"?

Up the revolution, perhaps, the French had it right? ;)

hmm.. the sign says, "no access to cyclists" does that mean you cannot even walk down the path to the cafe? Since, presumably, even off your bike, you are still a "cyclist"?

Good point. It would seem that nobody who has ever ridden a bike at any point in their life is allowed there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Road.cc article said:
In March the estate made the decision to close access to the Wooden Bridge which Cycling UK say has been used 'for decades' to cross the river from the minor road from Storiths to visit the Cavendish Pavilion tea-room.

The path has been blocked and security guards are reportedly patrolling the area to stop riders - even those pushing their bikes over the bridge - from getting cups of tea.
:thumbsdown:

It definitely has been used by cyclists 'for decades' - I first used the footbridge well over 20 years ago!

I confess that I have sometimes cycled over the bridge, but if it was busy I always got off and walked.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I bet Google Maps suggests going through there, because it has no understanding of the difference between a footpath and bike path. It routes you through the Bathurst Estate near Cirencester, which is also "no cyclists". Horses are ok, though. Horses are upper-class.

roley poley

Über Member
:thumbsdown:

It definitely has been used by cyclists 'for decades' - I first used the footbridge well over 20 years ago!

I confess that I have sometimes cycled over the bridge, but if it was busy I always got off and walked.
me too

Svendo

Guru
Tell the security guards to foxtrot oscar if they get arrisey about anyone walking down to the cafe with a bike.

What they gonna do? Call the police, who'll also tell them to foxtrot oscar? Call their mummy? Have a tantrum?
Could they use reasonable force to assist a trespasser to the nearest exit? And/or sue for consequential losses?

dodgy

Could they use reasonable force to assist a trespasser to the nearest exit? And/or sue for consequential losses?
No. They are not allowed to touch you, they are only able to call the police. That's my understanding based on a similar thing around here a few years back. Drago will confirm either way.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The Bolton Abbey trip advisor page seems to have taken a hammering! I don’t know the specific roads but do I understand the main vehicle entrance is difficult or dangerous on bikes?

Top Bottom