cyclists blocking the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Wot thelawnet said. The six-abreast thing sounds like cobblers.

Jezston

Über Member
I don't know the road but is it even possible to have 4 to 6 riders side by side, for a length of time?

peloton.jpg

Yes

on the road

Über Member
Considering that the road was narrow, then it would be impossible to ride six abreast, even four abreast would be risky.

I've been on club rides on narrow country roads and we often ride two abreast, to fit a third in would mean cyclists getting Uncomfortably close to each other, there's a risk of someone bringing someone else down, so to ride 4 to 6 abreast would be asking for trouble.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But a tractor can't magically shrink itself into a width a couple of feet across.

A group of cyclists can.

I'm two feet wide on my bike on my own. How does my mate ride alongside me in a couple of feet? How many metres long would this make the two-by-two procession if 50+ cyclists are involved? How big a layby would they need to pull into if pulling off the road?

It's unlikely that they were 4 or 6 abreast.

I pushed my colleague hard y'day, and pressed him on it again again today. When he was in second place in the queue of cars he is adamant that the peloton was variously 4, 5, and 6 riders wide at the rear and occupied the whole width of the entire carriageway at times whilst only occuping the left most portion at other times.

I don't know the road but is it even possible to have 4 to 6 riders side by side, for a length of time?

Yes, easily, happens a lot on club rides.

Thats an organized race on a traffic free road, like normal people out for a ride on a sunday ride like that :rolleyes:

normal people out for a sunday ride in my club often ride like that on open roads.

Sometimes a rolling roadblock is the safest option. If that is the option these cyclists chose to take, even if it conflicts with HC, letter of law, etc., well, in my book, safety trumps everything and motorists, and I am one, can go hang.

abo

Some people are self-centred peanuts, both on bikes and behind the wheel of a car. The roads are there to be shared; people should facilitate each other's smooth progress wherever possible. That's my philosophy anyway; after all everyone is just trying to get where they are going without being killed and I can't see the point of being all wound up and angry when I get there.

Unfortunately the world doesn't work that way

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
crikey!

I had to rush away last night, fix my wife's front tyre, make tea, cycle to Paddington, take the last train to Cardiff, cycle to the Millenium Plaza, then cycle to Mumbles via Llantwit Major, Ewemmy, Port Talbot and Swansea, have a bite to eat, grab a couple of hours sleep, cycle to Swansea railway station, take the train back to Paddington, cycle home and send out some FNRttC e-mails as in

Claudine and I did a night-time recce last night. We went from Cardiff to Mumbles against a southwesterly gale. Claudine assures me that winds from the southwest are a rarity in South Wales, and that all those trees leaning to the northeast have been attacked by Terror Topiarists.

Be that as it may, the forecast for the early hours of Saturday is for light southwesterly winds, warm temperatures and just a bit of misty rain. A lightweight waterproof is a must, and, if you wear spectacles, a peaked cap would be sensible.

The good news is that there wasn’t a lot of traffic about. From Cardiff Bay to Bonvilston we probably saw 20-30 cars. From Bonvilston to Ewemmy, which is about fourteen miles, we saw not one.

The Tesco toilets were open and sparkly clean.

A lot of the roads between Bonvilston, Ewemmy and Nottage are overshadowed. Even if the skies are clear you’re going to need lights fit for the job and fresh batteries. Those same roads have rustic surfaces, sharp bends and sudden ups and downs – leave space between you and the rider in front, and let the rider behind know what’s going on – signals here http://fnrttc.blogsp...m/p/lights.html to which I’d add ‘gravel!’ which, at one point, presents a bit of a challenge. If you have a powerful rear light angle it down or cover it with clear tape and set it to constant rather than flashing. Watch the rear lights ahead of you – they’ll tell you when you need to change from big to small ring. Don’t, please, overtake on the left. Ever.

We should reach our halfway stop about ten to three and our destination about seven. There’ll be photo-opportunities along the way, not least a view of Port Talbot by night, and a snazzy new bridge in the centre of Swansea. The views across the bay to Mumbles Pier, our destination, are wonderful.

See you at 23.30 in the Millenium Plaza. If you’re going to be late, please text me on 07776 210 731. If you’re not going to turn up please let me know now – the halfway stop needs an accurate headcount. If you’re catching the late train in to Cardiff then remember that you can get out of the station on the southern side and that the ride to Millenium Plaza takes about ten minutes - ETA by text please.

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday night

Simon

that's called 'riding a bike' as opposed to 'complaining about other people riding a bike'. And, to be clear, nothing will pass us on narrow roads. Nothing at all.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
[QUOTE 1397028"]
Well if that's your view then you're either incredibly lucky, or you're allowing your bias to take over. I've only ever been on a couple of group rides and I've seen cyclists throwing their weight around. And it's a regular observation of single cyclists on the road.

We're not all perfect Dell. Let's not pretend, eh? It's not a helpful position to come from.
[/quote]nobody's pretending to be perfect, so stop being silly. I've got to write a note to two newcomers this afternoon, asking them not to ride in a certain way, which they did, I am perfectly sure, because they knew no better.

As you say - you've only been on a couple of group rides. I've organised loads and been on loads more. I've never, repeat never, other than on CM, seen a group go out of its way to be awkward. I've seen lots organise themselves to reduce risk, and, unfortunately, I've seen lots that failed to do so (including, on occasions, rides that I've organised) and got cut up as a result, on one occasion resulting in injury.

Top Bottom