Cyclists down a30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
There are better and more picturesque/safer roads to ride down there. I didn't ride the a30 in favor of smaller lanes.

But that's not really the point. The point is that these poor guys are dead because of some bloody lorry driver.
Only yesterday I was passed so close by a lorry driver he brushed my right arm ..I'm currently discussing the incident with his employer.

Time and time again lorries can't be bothered to pass wide enough and the attitude is that they own the road and cyclists are like flies to swot.

RIP fellow riders.

Let the driver live with his guilt. No sympathy for him. Every sympathy for the families of the dead.

fossala

Guru
Interested to hear of other opinions especially of those local to the area.

I live near there, around 10 miles. I do ride on the A30 (I rode on it the other day when I had the job interview I was talking about on here) but I try not too very often because I end up getting wound up. It's a bad road, it's not meant for cyclists, but if everyone did obey the rules of the road, things like this shouldn't happen.

DRHysted

Guru
Have a look at the mangled bike,then tell me if you're still keen to defend the lorry drivers "union" over the dead cyclists. http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk...-lorry-crash/story-19453652-detail/story.html

Without the facts I am unwilling to defend or attack the lorry driver. There are so many different things that could have happened to have caused this which could have been out of the drivers control.

I am not willing to defend the driver, but I am also not willing to gather the pitch forks and start building gallows. Two people have tragically lost their lives, lets not add a third until we know the facts and not media sensatialisum.

betty swollocks

large member
So desperately sad.
Two cyclists set off for a lovely 10 days or so cycling the length of the land and end up dead within just a few miles, never thinking this would happen to them.
I extend to their family, friends and loved ones my sincere condolences.
May they rest in peace.

I'm wondering what scenario it could have been the fault of 2 cyclists? One, sure, loses concentration and suddenly swerves out into the lane; but both of them? Also, they are visually more obvious, so reduce the chances of a genuine SMIDSY.

And I do not have a problem judging the lorry driver: he is not dead; he is not injured; if he is distressed about killing them, then my further condemnation will not worsen that (what could be worse than the knowledge you ended two lives in agony?); there is not the remotest chance I will be on the jury; if a court does find that he is guilty, his sentence will be derisory compared to he has done.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
The only way drivers will change is if the law automatically finds them at fault in any collision with a cyclist, and instantly and permanently removes their licence to drive.

It won't bring these two back though.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
The only way drivers will change is if the law automatically finds them at fault in any collision with a cyclist, and instantly and permanently removes their licence to drive.

It won't bring these two back though.

Even if you are not at fault?

Col5632

Guru
Just so sad to hear of news like this, trip of a lifetime and this happens just moments after they start :sad:

Thoughts are with the family's as i can not imagine what they are going through

StuartG

slower but further
Which cannot happen whilst >50% people rely on cars. Or are you advocating the end of democracy?
Would it be better not to go for presumed liability which is feasible? A greater deterrent than we have now even if far from perfect.

We can presume this driver did not intend to kill. We do not even know if a collision was unavoidable (and if it was deterrents don't count). Why not wait until we know the cause and hence what remedies might be best employed. And presuming somebody out there is going to suggest banning bicycles on the A30 - how we deal with that?

For what its worth I would love to see the national speed limit reduced to 40 mph EXCEPT where a carriageway is provided for cyclists and maintained to the same standard allowing two cyclists side by side in each direction to cover the same distance in the same time. Yep, I know I'm dreaming too - except isn't this much the norm in the Netherlands?

Top Bottom