Cyclists down a30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Just heard on local radio two cyclists have been involved in a collision with a lorry and died. Been told not from the area so thinking may have been doing lands end john ogroats. Hope its no one on here thoughts go out to the families

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The lorry driver will appear in court in two months time for the customary slap on the wrist fine,stating that he's had sleepless nights since the "accident" and that it'll put him off driving for life therefore losing his livelihood! The judge/magistrate(never been a bike since he/she was 10) will empathize with him and he'll leave the court feeling pleased with himself!:angry:

fossala

Guru
All of us locals avoid the A30 as much as we can. I was on it the other day, but I try to avoid. We don't have any motorways down here, but this is the closest thing we have.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2529265, member: 30090"]That's crass speculation and you are bang out of order.[/quote]

This is a forum for cyclists not lorry drivers! I'm naturally going to side with my fellow cyclists,and speculate about a person who belongs to a group who in the majority see cyclists as a menace!

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
All of us locals avoid the A30 as much as we can. I was on it the other day, but I try to avoid. We don't have any motorways down here, but this is the closest thing we have.

I've cycled it a few times as it's part of a local TT circuit I try my hand at (unofficially and on strava) but this has made me think twice about it.

Just after I heard about it on pirate they played a u2 song that was played at a funeral I attended recently. So close to home too as I'm doing the Cornish leg of a jogle challenge next weekend

lejogger

Guru
Horrible news :sad:

My best pal and I spent 100+ miles on the A30 during our End to End in 2009. It's not a comfortable ride but we never felt in danger.

However (without knowing the specific details and being largely unwilling to speculate) any road user can have a lapse in concentration at any time and on any road. We don't know which party was at fault here.

My sympathies are with the families and friends of all those involved.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This is a forum for cyclists not lorry drivers! I'm naturally going to side with my fellow cyclists,and speculate about a person who belongs to a group who in the majority see cyclists as a menace!

Please reflect on this!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
RIP :sad:

I generally believe in asserting our rights to cycle where it is legal to do so, but I would definitely give that road a miss. (A quick look on Streetview shows that it looks like a motorway. The results of a quick search for "Is the a30 safe for cycling?" suggest that it isn't.)

lejogger

Guru
Are we really going to point at a choice of route for the cause of this? If it was really that unsafe then like many A roads across the country it would prohibit cyclists, especially with it being the main route out of Lands End. There must be hundreds of cyclists every week using it throughout the summer.

I'd rather be within the hard shoulder and highly visible on a wide duel lane road with plenty of space to be overtaken, than confronted by a boy-racer on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner of a country lane.

There's also a difference between a road being safe for cycling on and a cyclist being safe/experienced enough to cycle on a busy road of that kind. As I said earlier too, a cyclist or a motorist could have a lapse of concentration at any time on any road that could lead to an accident of this nature.

We don't know whether the motorist or the cyclist was at fault and whether the circumstances were unique to the fact that both were on this particular road or not.

I'm all for a thread to express sympathy on these occasions, but do wish they wouldn't degenerate into often wild and moral speculation of the causes before they are known.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Confirmed the two were LEJOGers. Driver of an articulated lorry arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, which I understand is normal protocol in these circumstances.

Bloody horrendous RIP.

Top Bottom