Cyclists hitting an invisible gate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The riders look like commuters, so will probably know the route well. If the gate is usually open and it’s coming off a quick descent they may be focussing more on getting home/to work and/or segment or journey times.

What the video doesn’t show is how many people negotiate it successfully.

Jody

Stubborn git
It definitely needs more hi Viz on it.

This ^. Grey barrier over grey tarmac. What could possibly go wrong?

Paint it yellow and the problem would go away

Mburton1993

Über Member
Someone on Reddit shared the location, no street view though.

That Daily Mail link further up said "The gate has been open for weeks and got locked two days ago", so yeah these lot had probably gotten too used to it being open.

The article also mentions for some reason that "The scooter rider was sensibly wearing a hi-viz jacket to make himself visible to pedestrians and road users." Maybe the gate should wear one. 😆

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
The classic mistake, believing people are crashing because they cannot see when in most cases its because they're not actually looking properly.

It's grey on grey and camouflage is a thing

Given the repeated instances you would suspect it's not a simple case of looking properly

Paint it yellow and most of the "not looking" cases would stop.

It's grey on grey and camouflage is a thing

Given the repeated instances you would suspect it's not a simple case of looking properly

Paint it yellow and most of the "not looking" cases would stop.

Yeah. Now I've done a bit of work in H&S I'm much more in the "multiple causes" camp. There are two facts:
- no matter how idiot-proof, someone will hurt themselves;
- if you make some effort, you can save some of the idiots from themselves (and alll the non-idiots)!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I wonder if the gate is usually open 95% of the time. So these people have cycled the path many times before without incident.
But if the gate is closed they don’t see it.
The speed they are going suggests an element of familiarity with the situation.

Quite possibly. There is a canal path section round here that’s like that. Open most of the time, but occasionally closed. It’s half way down a lock descent.

Last edited:
The classic mistake, believing people are crashing because they cannot see when in most cases its because they're not actually looking properly.

I'd think this could be the case if it was just one incident - but this many ? I'd certainly like to see the barrier in person.
I ride a few bike paths with barriers - some are just grey - maybe with a bit of tiny reflectives on. I've never seen anyone hit any.
I think the important bit is that they're fixed barriers. People know they will be there.

If it's an occasional barrier you really want to make it visible.

I reckon that this is it:

1708952047389.png

Snipped from here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...th,_Sheffield_-_geograph.org.uk_-_4909494.jpg

No real excuse for riding into it but...the shadow when the photo was taken and the track sweeping round to the right do disguise the diagonal. It is also at the bottom of a dip so I can imagine people wanting to carry a fair bit of speed to get up the opposite side.

I wondered whether there was a Strava segment along there. There is but it goes in the opposite direction: https://www.strava.com/segments/25297491

Jody

Stubborn git
That track up the grass looks like it's from an MX

Given where it is I wouldn't be surprised if they get a lot of illegal riding.

Top Bottom