Cyclists hitting an invisible gate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Seen that a few times now.

Not even sure why there would be a gate there.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I guess it depends on what's behind the gate from the cyclists' perspective - could be an ascending gravel track that's very close to the colour of the gate, for example.

Those riders were all going at a fair lick and the resultant impact looks substantial :sad:

The eye is not a camera and most of what you see is made up by your brain. The eye notices and processes change and movement very well, but things that remain static in your field of view can be missed.
People put their eye out bending down over an unseen garden cane.

Drago

Legendary Member
That, and most road users ride/drive HUA and don't scan properly. They typically fix their gaze dead ahead, usually not far enough ahead at that, and once theyve fixed it there they typically turn down the sensitivity so their conscious brain actually sees little. Because the eye isn't moving the brain is deprived of the visual datum to see effectively in 3D, and thus the brain is deprived of the data required to make 3D calculations involving velocity time and distance.

You've only got to look at typical helmet cam footage where riders stare dead ahead when passing junctions or hazards to see how little attention most of them are paying to proceedings.

Just imaging what these riders are like when out in their cars.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I wonder if the gate is usually open 95% of the time. So these people have cycled the path many times before without incident.
But if the gate is closed they don’t see it.
The speed they are going suggests an element of familiarity with the situation.

Alex321

Veteran
I wonder if the gate is usually open 95% of the time. So these people have cycled the path many times before without incident.
But if the gate is closed they don’t see it.
The speed they are going suggests an element of familiarity with the situation.

That really does seem like the most likely explanation. I was wondering how on earth they could miss it, but as you say, if they are used to it being open (or possibly even it has been newly installed), then that would explain them not looking out for it.

Emanresu

According to this article from November last year, it is a road leading to allotments which is sometimes closed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cyclists-fallen-three-times-eight-months.html

As well as leading to allotments, the cyclepath links the city centre with the eastern suburbs. It is unknown who was responsible for legitimately opening and shutting the gate

According to Sheffield CC, there are 70 sites in the city and reading a few of the minutes of the Allotment Advisory Group the main issue is with fly tipping / trespass so they close the gates - the few causing problems for the many. Surprised no-one has made a claim on the council's insurance policy or perhaps there is too much evidence of people not looking.

Twilkes

Guru
According to this article from November last year, it is a road leading to allotments which is sometimes closed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cyclists-fallen-three-times-eight-months.html

According to Sheffield CC, there are 70 sites in the city and reading a few of the minutes of the Allotment Advisory Group the main issue is with fly tipping / trespass so they close the gates - the few causing problems for the many. Surprised no-one has made a claim on the council's insurance policy or perhaps there is too much evidence of people not looking.

Unless the council have been negligent then I don't think closing a gate would be something they had to face a claim against. I obviously can't see what those cyclists saw when they rode down that path, but if I rode straight into any kind of gate I'd be putting the responsibility 100% on myself.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Hard to say without seeing the gate from the viewpoint of the riders but probably something relating to the background either being distracting or there being little contrast between it and the barrier. Maybe it's the opposite and there's something about it that encourages "target fixation" where if some hazard gets your attention too strongly you'll stare at it and ultimately collide with it, potholes for example. Then there's the straight run at it maybe giving rise to the phenomenon of "looming" where an object approaching from a distance doesn't get the attention that something moving across your path does, until it's suddenly too close or too large to take evasive action or brake in time. Or, as previously suggested it might usually be open and for some reason it's now left closed.

Despite all these suggestions there's still no substitute for looking where you're blooming going. No point in bleating about it not being there last time when you can manage to avoid all those dogs, people, cars, etc which are always being there or not-there in a random manner.

Although I can empathise with the pain those riders must have felt, I must be a terrible person as I enjoyed the schadenfreude of seeing them doing it to themselves as they were going too fast to stop in time. I just hope none of them were seriously injured. I was also distracted by the other videos which inevitably linked to that one. Some were awful, some were genuinely funny. I suppose everybody enjoys a pratfall, if it's happening to someone else.

Top Bottom