Radar Lockable Gate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Anybody have any idea what one of these is. /. Seen one in action?

The route they are discussing is a very busy cycling route with a lot of leisure riders but also more importantly a lot of commuters.

I find the following report very vague and can't make my mind up if it is an attempt to stop cyclists using the route.

I also can't determine if they want to put the "gate" on the path or on the bridge to stop people crossing the bridge (again very busy with commuters)

I personally cross the bridge twice a week but reading the report I garner that "access keys" are for disabled people only?

https://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/n...-access-barrier-near-saltney-disabled-access/

Drago

Legendary Member
Radar is a type of key that disabled folk can get, unlocks disabled toilets and barriers at railway stations, shopping centres, that sort of thing. It's just like a big mortise lock key with a red handle, not actual radio waves being fired at you and detecting your presence as Mrs D first thought when we found out about
It years ago.

n85316_1_radar_key_for_disabled_toilets_with_easy_turn_red_handle.jpg

The Radar locks are all identical, so obe key opens them all.

The good news is there is no restriction on buying the keys and they're less than a fiver, so if you're not extracting the urine and intend to wheel your bike across there's nothing stopping you buying one yourself. Provided you aren't disadvantsging a disabled person while doing so you're not breaking any laws whatsoever.

The other issue is one the carncil seems not to have considered. Mrs D has MS and walks with a stick, yet can ride a bicycle just fine, albeit at no great pace. In terms of covering ground she is much better on a bicycle than she is walking, so if she chooses to ride one day because its easier for her than walking and if such gates then disadvantage her as a cyclist they are unlawfully discriminating against her, breaching the equality act.

It seems they haven't thought this through at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
AIUI it’s an attempt to stop illegal use and at the same time give access to the disabled.
https://committeemeetings.flintshire.gov.uk/documents/s78989/Access Barrier Review update.pdf?LLL=0

I do laugh at the North Wales Police quote on County Lines Drug Supply.

There is a motorised (de-restricted) fat bike which bombs up and down the neighbouring Greenway Cycle / Shared path many times a day between Queensferry and Blacon. It would appear clear to all that the rider is engaged in "Courier" work and the only people who don't appear to know about him are the Police!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
AIUI it’s an attempt to stop illegal use and at the same time give access to the disabled.
https://committeemeetings.flintshire.gov.uk/documents/s78989/Access Barrier Review update.pdf?LLL=0

Except its making access more difficult for some disabled folk (I used the notional example of Mrs D above , although we don't live nearby.)

This has been thought about by greater minds by them for the last 2 decades, and anything that will restrict off road motorbikes and the like will simply make life more difficult for the disabled, no matter how good it is, and even the slightest delay or disadvantage imposed specifically on the disabled is simply unlawful.

Requiring a disabled person to acquire or purchase a key to be able to traverse a public right if way while the able bodied are free to use the same route without let or hindrance is unlawful.

Us able bodied folk won't need to buy a key to open a special gate, so why should a wheelchair user, or a cyclist who is on a bike because they can't walk those sort of distances? They really need to read the equality act and take proper legal advice regarding the stated cases that have arisen as councils have been challenged over this sort of thing. They're going to get legally bent over and have their pants pulled down, and it'll be the local council tax layers picking up the tab.

No a bad idea overall - but not a perfect solution
We have all seen the A-frame barriers - with my ebike they are a pain because the handlebars are quite wide so I have to do a bit of a wiggle to get through - if I use the folder then the bar are much narrower and it is easier
But a lot of them would be impassible for a wheelchair or some recumbents and trikes
And the wiggle bit would be difficult for someone of limited mobility so can still ride a bike/trike - and bikes are SO much cooler than a mobility scooter

Round here a lot of old A-frame barriers have been removed and replaced with a clear opening - just too narrow for a car etc
it was - I think - done due to access problems for wheelchairs and mobility scooter - and is certainly wonderful for cyclists

Not sure how well it will work long term as it also makes it easier for people of motorbikes - which is a problem at time!

I suppose it would be possible to have a half-way solution with an A-frame barrier - with one part hinged that can be opened using a RADAR key

maybe too complicated??

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They also give you access to disabled toilets

One advantage when touring is that at many of them you can take your bike inside for safety when nature calls.
Mine does not have a red handle. It first came into use when my wife was in a wheelchair.

There are already barriers both ends of the footbridge. Doesn't stop you cycling over though but you'd struggle with wide mountain bike bars.
I guess the barrier could stop mobility scooters getting over but its a narrow bridge - would the scooter block traffic both ways ?

Top Bottom