Cyclists that put a slur on our good name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1151942"]
In name or meaning? Granted the term road tax does not exist however instead drivers pay VED which is a duty which you can define as a tax?

You will only ever pay VED when driving on the roads so surely this is 'road tax' albeit in a different sense of the word.
[/quote]

Whilst it is in sense a tax, the term is often used to denote the right to use the road and is used to imply that people who don't pay it should not be allowed to use the road. Even though, as we all know, the cost is now based on carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicles (post 1-04-01) and a bicycle emits no emissions.

Thus by using the term 'road tax' we are just enforcing that vehicle drivers pay to use the roads and that they have more right to be on it (thats the b/s that i hear on a weekly basis from people, so clearly it is believed in the community) than we do as we do not pay.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1151944"]
So the term 'road tax' does exist then? It's merely people's ignorance with respect to how it is levied that is the problem. Bicycles are there of course but because pusbikes give off no emissions we are free from the trip down to the PO every 6/12 months or if you are lucky(?) enough spending 20 mins on the DVLA website paying it.
[/quote]

Whilst tax is not in the name VED, it is of course a tax, just like the hidden tax on fags. And as you say, the term 'road tax' is often used in the wrong manor.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Which just goes to show that you shouldn't rely on HM Govt to name things either. Cycles are vehicles too

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I think the clue is in the name VEHICLE Excise Duty. It's a tax on vehicles.

Ah, but bicycles are vehicles, as are Smart cars, Toyota iQ, Seat Leon 1.6 CR TDI, VW Polos etc., now where is the similarity? None of them are required to pay VED to use the road. VED is not a tax on road use, it is a tax on CO2 emissions. Odd how the drivers of bigger cars don't go around shouting at Smart car drivers shouting "You don't pay tax get off the road!"

Dan B

Disengaged member
Odd how the drivers of bigger cars don't go around shouting at Smart car drivers shouting "You don't pay tax get off the road!"
I've never driven a Smart car myself, but honestly, I can see no good reason to assume they don't. I mean, BMW and Audi drivers already object strongly to any other car in their reserved lane on the motorway, I don't see why they wouldn't carry that attitude across to other roads

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Has only got one ball
The other......

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I don't think I've ever seen Hitler wearing a helmet, but I believe he encouraged many millions to wear one.

As a corporal in the WW1 he would have had to wear a helmet. He also was responsible to the creation of VW and suppressed the German cyclist union.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
After returning home from my daily commute, I decided to visit the supermarket in my car. After leaving the supermarket with enough Ice cream to fill a swimming pool I noticed a rather shoddy looking guy on a ahoddy raleigh racing bike pass me , then wobble into the middle of the road as I approached. I used my horn and got a middle finger off him, then a tirade of abuse.

Cyclist "What's your focking problem"
Me "Would be an idea to indicate before you move to the centre of the road"
Cyclist "Whos says so"
Me "The Highway code and common sense"
Cyclist "$&387$&£&^$&*^£ £&$^^£!"&^£^"

He then road of, overtaking cars waiting at some lights before mounting the pavement and riding off.

If someone knocked him off his bike then it would be the motorists fault.

Anyone else have examples like this.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I hate seeing adults using pavements as shortcuts down one way streets. I work in a one way system, if i want to go to my nearest supermarket, it is literally 150yds walk, but by road, because of the one way restrictions, its nearly a mile. Every day, locals use the pavement in my road to take the short route. not wheeling, not pushing, not even scooting, but riding. Its all in an area coverd by CCTV, but is anything done. Bet your life it will be when the Chief Inspectors wife gets clipped.:angry:

Top Bottom