Cyclists that put a slur on our good name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well there you go then. It seems our estimate of Clive's poor driving ability was right?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Shame about the oncoming cyclist the Audi is about to mow down. But seriously, if every driver had to give this much space to pass a cyclist, or had to follow a cyclist for miles if there wasn't this much space available because of oncoming traffic, then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening.

Yeah, that's what's causing all the congestion in town and cities - cyclists! I nominate this as post of the week.

Shame about the oncoming cyclist the Audi is about to mow down. But seriously, if every driver had to give this much space to pass a cyclist, or had to follow a cyclist for miles if there wasn't this much space available because of oncoming traffic, then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening. I really think the people who defend bad riding here regardless of the cyclists determination to collect a Darwin Award are living in cloud cuckoo land. Get real and realise that cyclists aren't the only things on the road, other people need to get around as well and dare I say it, at more than 10 to 20mph.
I will know doubt be slagged off as a car driving maniac, but I actually cycle more than I drive/motorbike.

Eh? I don't expect that much space but I do expect some space instead of yet another dangerous idiotic overtake.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Well, if we paid road tax that would soon get us off the road and out of the way of cars, and get the cities moving again...

I'd go further. I'd mothball my bike and drive the car into work - that'd solve the log jam in the rush hour...

Right, pub time...

stowie

Legendary Member
Shame about the oncoming cyclist the Audi is about to mow down. But seriously, if every driver had to give this much space to pass a cyclist, or had to follow a cyclist for miles if there wasn't this much space available because of oncoming traffic, then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening. I really think the people who defend bad riding here regardless of the cyclists determination to collect a Darwin Award are living in cloud cuckoo land. Get real and realise that cyclists aren't the only things on the road, other people need to get around as well and dare I say it, at more than 10 to 20mph.
I will know doubt be slagged off as a car driving maniac, but I actually cycle more than I drive/motorbike.

Most towns are gridlocked in the morning and evening, but that is nothing to do with cyclists slowing up traffic, more to do with too many cars.

I expect car drivers to exercise a high degree of caution around cyclists and pedestrians in town. I expect that as a car driver who is driving a large vehicle and has had to pass a test to show competence that I take into account, as far as is reasonable, the possibility of a less experienced cyclist.

It does make me chuckle that many car drivers have to overtake in town when their average speed is normally less than mine on a bicycle - hence the constant overtake and re-overtake. In these circumstances even if they sat behind the bicycle at 10mph, they wouldn't get to their destination any later.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is a difference between swerving to avoid something and actually performing a manoeuvre.

I'm just back from the town centre, and whilst I was there saw one of the cyclists who give us a bad name... it was in the shopping area - wide pavements at times narrowed to one lane (one way anyway), and cars aren't meant to be there. Two buses pulled away from a bus stop with about a car gap between them ... and suddenly a cyclist appeared from a pedestrian alleyway and cycled straight across the road to then cycle on the pavement on the opposite site. Even his mate with him must have thought it was close because he didn't go. I heard the squeal of the brakes of the bus - and would happily of been a witness - as I assume most of the other people would have been, for the bus driver that it wouldn't have been his fault if he had hit him. I know he wasn't going very fast - but it did require very quick reactions.

Shame about the oncoming cyclist the Audi is about to mow down. But seriously, if every driver had to give this much space to pass a cyclist, or had to follow a cyclist for miles if there wasn't this much space available because of oncoming traffic, then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening.

Quite a few motorists do pass me with that much space - not all I will agree - but it's far more pleasant than feeling something pass you really close
rolleyes.gif

...then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening.

I think you'll find most are - that's why people ride bikes.

Get real and realise that cyclists aren't the only things on the road, other people need to get around as well and dare I say it, at more than 10 to 20mph.

Clive, I'd like to apologise to you on behalf of all other road users for being an inconvenience to you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Here in London it's all the selfish private car drivers that are blocking up the roads, that's why bikes are quicker than any other form of transport. Methinks Clive and Quinn should be paying extra tax to make up for the inconvenience they cause to everybody else.

MartinC

Über Member

So in essence you believe that the HC is optional and need not apply if you consider it to be a nuisance. But, hang on a minute, isn't that what the original complaint about the cyclist was?

Dan B

Disengaged member
So in essence you believe that the HC is optional and need not apply if you consider it to be a nuisance. But, hang on a minute, isn't that what the original complaint about the cyclist was?
Completely different circumstances, obviously: doubtless the OP doesn't ride a "shoddy" bike

Dan B

Disengaged member
Here in London it's all the selfish private car drivers that are blocking up the roads, that's why bikes are quicker than any other form of transport. Methinks Clive and Quinn should be paying extra tax to make up for the inconvenience they cause to everybody else.
Isn't that the point of the congestion charge?

Top Bottom