Cyclists that put a slur on our good name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruce

Another lame cop out response from Lee, being insulting when he can't actually address the points he's attempting to respond to. Seriously weak, and sadly typical of his deliberately incendiary and unconstructive borderline-trolling style.

Where in either the OP or the second 'drivers perspective' post did anyone mention anything about the errant cyclist in question pulling out to move around parked cars?

If a driver moves out to give some distance and starts overtaking a cyclist, and the cyclist without looking behind him starts moving out into the path of the driver, how is the driver supposed to respond? Like others have suggested, are those of you taking the cyclists 'side' suggesting that cars should never attempt to overtake a cyclist ever in case they stupidly pull out into their path without looking?

I'm a bit bemused by many of the responses here, and unless there has been a massive breakdown in communication and we're all missing each others points, I get the feeling that some people are reacting by being unshakedly defensive because one of THEM has attacked one of US. It seems to be like when you get motorists jumping to the defence of bad drivers on the comments threads in articles about a cyclist being injured because they feel the article is an attack against motorists from cyclists.

A Big +1 that attitude is far to common on here Jezston, and I applaud you for pointing it out well done!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jezston, did you not see my post #37, or are you ignoring it?

Jezston

Über Member
Jezston, did you not see my post #37, or are you ignoring it?

Sorry I missed it. My point was there didn't seem to be anything in the original post (apart from perhaps the agressive beeping) that suggested there was anything inherently wrong with the driving style, in fact he doesn't really mention much about his 'style' at all - he just said a cyclist pulled out in from of him without warning, so I was a bit bemused why there was so much reaction attacking his driving.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm a bit bemused by many of the responses here, and unless there has been a massive breakdown in communication and we're all missing each others points, I get the feeling that some people are reacting by being unshakedly defensive because one of THEM has attacked one of US. It seems to be like when you get motorists jumping to the defence of bad drivers on the comments threads in articles about a cyclist being injured because they feel the article is an attack against motorists from cyclists.

Don't worry, this phase will pass as you become increasingly innured to the signal to noise ratio in here.

Illuminating meta-commuting commentaries are an escape of sorts from the combative, macho posturing that defines much of this sub-forum , but sadly, hardly anyone listens to such germane observations!

Howard

If a driver moves out to give some distance and starts overtaking a cyclist, and the cyclist without looking behind him starts moving out into the path of the driver, how is the driver supposed to respond?

Agreed, it doesn't help that the OP's description of the event was ambiguous.

But even in the case you describe, the driver in question could start with abandoning the manouvre, showing some patience, and waiting until a safe opportunity to overtake presents itself. There are plenty of reasons why the cyclist may be moving into the primary position, and in some situations it's reasonable to assume traffic isn't going to be dumb enough to try and pass you (say approaching a red light). Immediately jumping on the horn because of some minor slight isn't going to win you respect, and from some, it's going to earn you the finger, regardless of the mode(s) of transport involved.

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1151879"]
Not insulting at all.

You should give enough room to overtake a cyclist (around 6ft, 3ft being the absolute minimum) which allows for them to unavoidly swere to miss a pothole, drain cover etc. It's in the HC.

So I say again - come back and talk to me when you know what you are on about.
[/quote]

If you don't that dismissing someone's points with a phrase like "come back and talk to me when you know what you are on about" isn't insulting, or at least very rude and unconstructive, perhaps you should refrain from engaging in conversation with other human beings until you learn some basic manners.

Come back and talk to me when you actually feel like addressing my statements and pointing out what is actually wrong with what I said, although I have the feeling you won't, because you can't, but you like so many people with such attitudes on internet forums you can't handle losing face and so you just split hairs over irrelevant points so you can seem you are right about SOMETHING, or just try to make yourself look cleverer and obfuscate with dismissive insults.

And thus the argument goes nowhere, and no settlement is resolved, because it all becomes about keeping face rather than working out what is actually right.

shunter

The sounding of your horn is pointless if the intended recipient does not understand the actual message the driver is trying to convey. If a cyclist suddenly swerves in front of a car travelling along behind it to avoid a pothole, glass on the road, a lose dog, in response to spotting a child between parked cars or observing diesel/petrol on the road then he has not committed any offence. The sounding of a horn by the following car driver would be an action of arrogance conveying the message to the cyclist that he knows better about the road conditions etc ahead and therefore his progress should not be impeded. The driver should also be aware - and most are not - that cyclists do not generally know that vehicles behind them have started to overtake so the onus should rest on him to leave plenty of room in case the unforseeable happens or that the overtake is carried out in such a manner to startle the cyclist - an effect that could happen in response to a horn.

It seems to me sometimes that ownership and the right to progress on a road is proportionate to the size of vehicle ie 4X4's have priority over motorcycles and scooters who have priority over bicycles. eg. I was in the middle of making a u-turn on my motorcyle on the road but I get beeped by a car just arriving - but wasn't in sight when I started - just because I cause him to have to slow down.

Jezston

Über Member
I feel I need to point out so that no miscommunication is further incurred that yes of course I am aware that a motorist should give a cyclist plenty of room when overtaking, but how exactly do you distinguish between someone moving around a pothole and suddenly swerving from say, hugging the gutter to right in the middle of the road?

Until we know the exact positions of all vehicles involved don't jump down someone's throat when as a cyclist it might be safe to assume they were giving at least 6 feet during the overtake.

shunter

I feel I need to point out so that no miscommunication is further incurred that yes of course I am aware that a motorist should give a cyclist plenty of room when overtaking, but how exactly do you distinguish between someone moving around a pothole and suddenly swerving from say, hugging the gutter to right in the middle of the road?

Given that a cyclist could say that he swerved suddenly for a perceived and legitimate reason - how could you disprove it? - I think it is much more sensible for car drivers to drive with that in mind and not make decisions on how and where the cyclist may ride in front of them. I think there is an onus to protect the more vunerable on the road - not intimidate with horns or by passing too closely.

Bruce

Given that a cyclist could say that he swerved suddenly for a perceived and legitimate reason - how could you disprove it? - I think it is much more sensible for car drivers to drive with that in mind and not make decisions on how and where the cyclist may ride in front of them. I think there is an onus to protect the more vunerable on the road - not intimidate with horns or by passing too closely.

So in other words tear up the HC because Cyclists are always in the right no matter what and dont dare say otherwise.

Thats probably the sort of attitude that creates far more diharmony than anything any idiotic or uncaring car driver could ever do!

Howard

So in other words tear up the HC because Cyclists are always in the right no matter what and dont dare say otherwise.

I think what Shunter advocates and the current incarnation of the HC are perfectly compatible. Check out the HC examples already provided.

snorri

Legendary Member
My attention was taken by the thread title, "...a slur on our good name", the OP is obviously joking, we cyclists don't have a "good name" among the general population, do we?

shunter

Thats probably the sort of attitude that creates far more diharmony than anything any idiotic or uncaring car driver could ever do!

My reply was not a comment on the cyclist's riding skills. It was a general comment on why car drivers should give all cyclists plenty of room. I alluded to the point that there could be instances that a car driver sees bad cycling but it is in effect not bad cycling. Sounding a horn would be stupid in that case. I would imagine that most car drivers would like to get from A-B without hitting a bad/good or any cyclist. Giving all cyclists plenty of room on the road goes a long way to achieving that. I am sure it would be more likely that a crap cyclist will go out of his way to claim he was in the right if he was hit by a car and make a counterclaim against the car drivers insurance. That's why I give them more room.

It's not up to me to enforce the rules of the Highway Code

shunter

My attention was taken by the thread title, "...a slur on our good name", the OP is obviously joking, we cyclists don't have a "good name" among the general population, do we?

I hope not :biggrin: I ride bicycles and motorcycles so I can maintain a bad image.

It looks like your driving could be considerably better, despite whatever the cyclist was doing. You're clearly not leaving enough room, reading the road ahead, or anticipating what other road users might do.

That must be one of your best posts ever.;)

+1 billion

As if motorcyclists are whiter than white anyway.

Top Bottom