Cyclists that put a slur on our good name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Q

QuinnDexter

Lol. Didn't realise this post would stir up so much pent up anger :rolleyes:

There is a difference between swerving to avoid something and actually performing a manoeuvre. I cycle every day and can usually read the signs of cyclists on the roads when they are going to swerve or move in the lane. This guy was BAD and had no respect for other road users. You can give a BAD cyclist plenty of room but when they drift infront of you without looking you just have to horn them.

I would have thought at least the part about him mounting the pavement would have resulted in some encouragement to knock him down next time :wacko:

Oh Well...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I would have thought at least the part about him mounting the pavement would have resulted in some encouragement to knock him down next time :wacko:

Oh Well...

Some things are too serious to joke about. People die every day on the roads.

OK, sometimes it's a result of people's own misjudgements - I've come close to dying that way myself.

But often it's not, and people we know have been killed. Sorry, but lines like that are just not funny.

OK, sometimes it's a result of people's own misjudgements - I've come close to dying that way myself.

But often it's not, and people we know have been killed. Sorry, but lines like that are just not funny.

Got to agree...I have had to very serious incidents recently so I don't find it a joke.Not even in jest when I have also had one motorist use their cars as weapons against me.

I know people on here have had worse...That's without some comedian close passing again because he's on his phone/in a hurry or I have upset him.:whistle:

You can give a BAD cyclist plenty of room but when they drift infront of you without looking you just have to horn them.

Just like when you're cycling and a car drifts sideways into you while overtaking because the driver has misjudged oncoming traffic you have to horn them...........oh wait.....

Some road users are more vulnerable than others. The way you have worded it it seems like you used the horn not because you wanted to improve the cyclist's safety by alerting him to your presence but instead as an aggressive action because he invaded your space.

Clive Atton

Über Member
In response to those who think you should never use the horn:

So if your overtaking speed is such that you can't slow in time to avoid the @rse on a bike who is drifting into your path and you can't swerve because of an oncoming car or someone overtaking you (motorbike maybe?), you should still not hoot to warn them for fear it may startle them out of their idiotic, incompetent daydream?

OP
OP
Q

QuinnDexter

You reckon?

Yes...which is why I sounded my horn. I was traveling at 22 miles an hour in a straight line. Hardly constitutes bad driving. Also the horn was short not angry and long like the majority of posters think I did.

I have to say that reading some replies there are obviously a lot of cyclists posting here would obviously think that it is ok to cycle down a street, move into the centre of the carriageway without looking or signalling whilst the driver behind is driving in a straight line just about to pass the said cyclist. These are probably the same cyclists who think it's fine to jump red lights or ride on the pavement. The post was a simple forum to hopefully listen to other cyclists who witness bad cycling. I didn't realise it would turn into a rebuttle from some self righteous cyclists who obviously think the highway code is just for motorists and who obviously either do not drive or have a chip on their shoulder.

As a cyclist and motorist I feel I am more aware of what cyclists do and respect their space when passing , following or doing any manouevers myself. BAD cyclists cannot be preempted.

The highway code states that you can use your horn " when another vehicle poses a danger.". The cyclist posed a danger...therefore I used my horn.

Clive Atton

Über Member

Warning, Warning, humour free zone, please don't invite me around for Christmas.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes...which is why I sounded my horn. I was traveling at 22 miles an hour in a straight line. Hardly constitutes bad driving. Also the horn was short not angry and long like the majority of posters think I did.

The highway code states that you can use your horn " when another vehicle poses a danger.". The cyclist posed a danger...therefore I used my horn.

A horn being sounded is unnecessary aggression deliberately to annoy in that situation. I'm sorry but you know perfectly well you shouldn't have horned, you're just making excuses now, even applying spin to the highway code in a desperate attempt to justify yourself.

Dan B

Disengaged member
So if your overtaking speed is such that you can't slow in time to avoid the @rse on a bike who is drifting into your path and you can't swerve because of an oncoming car or someone overtaking you (motorbike maybe?)
then you've already ****ed up. End of

In response to those who think you should never use the horn:

So if your overtaking speed is such that you can't slow in time to avoid the @rse on a bike who is drifting into your path and you can't swerve because of an oncoming car or someone overtaking you (motorbike maybe?), you should still not hoot to warn them for fear it may startle them out of their idiotic, incompetent daydream?

Well if you overtook like this:

dg_070531.jpg

the problem of "an oncoming car or someone overtaking you" would disappear.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Indeed. It would also seriously ameliorate the problem of their "drifting into your path". Mind you, it does nothing in the scenario where they dematerialise and instantly reappear a full ten feet further right, which I always find a problem

Clive Atton

Über Member
Well if you overtook like this:

dg_070531.jpg

the problem of "an oncoming car or someone overtaking you" would disappear.

Shame about the oncoming cyclist the Audi is about to mow down. But seriously, if every driver had to give this much space to pass a cyclist, or had to follow a cyclist for miles if there wasn't this much space available because of oncoming traffic, then every town would be virtually gridlocked every morning and evening. I really think the people who defend bad riding here regardless of the cyclists determination to collect a Darwin Award are living in cloud cuckoo land. Get real and realise that cyclists aren't the only things on the road, other people need to get around as well and dare I say it, at more than 10 to 20mph.
I will know doubt be slagged off as a car driving maniac, but I actually cycle more than I drive/motorbike.

Top Bottom