cyclists - the not so good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fraser1

I've cycled in London, drove a car in London and now use a Vespa. I've done all three over the last 20 years primarily in West London and find the following:

- Cyclists take risks, NEVER look over their shoulder if they're overtaking a vehicle or another cyclist. As a motorcyclist this is drummed into you when you are doing your CBT of full bike test - it's called a lifesaver check. Why is this?

http://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/the-5-elements-of-cbt/element-c/indicating-observation-osmpsl/

It surprises me that even a few cyclists don't do this.

- Drivers of cars are completely unaware, they just follow the road and rarely check mirrors. Undertaking a car is a risk. When I'm out on my bicycle I assume the drivers are the worst and never see me, but a lot of cyclists want to ride with the rights of the law in mind and nothing else. Insane.

- On a motorcycle we are inbetween everybody.

What prompted me to sign up to this forum is a cyclist today going mental at me for going in a cycle box - it was empty apart from one other cyclist who was on the far left, and then a brompton rider comes in and stops directly infront of me. I was inbetween two vans with their wing mirrors next to me and the one on the right was edging forward, so I wanted to be able to get away in front of them as it was a squeeze there. I went forward and to the right of the brompton and he immediately started filming with his head cams- me , my girlfriend and then my number plate explaining how it was going to be a really bad day for me as he was going to report me. There was so much space in a 2 lane width cycle box. There are dicks in all walk of life but cyclists do attract them.

When you go into a cycle box, if there's space to go the side of any motorcycles so they can get past you when the lights go green, it's much appreciated.

As an aside, I hope London continues to build cycle lanes. On any two wheels you see the cars queued up for miles on end and think how on earth are we still doing this in 2017

Drago

Legendary Member
:popcorn:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm an advanced motorcyclist and a cycle trainer and I look over my shoulder so much I'm surprised my head doesn't fall off.

Before making sweeping and apocryphal generalisations about other road users you should double check before hitting 'submit' that you yourself aren't publicly describing how you were committing and offence and someone had a pop at you for it.

Motorcyclists kill more people than cyclists. Go preach to them as they are the ones killing people.

Motorcyclists speed and take risks. Why is this?

When you approach a cycle box it's there for the safety of cyclists. If motorcyclists are so desperate to get passed, obey the law, recognise our safety is more important than 5s of your time and get over yourselves.

Last time you were in your motorbike how many times did you break the law by speeding?

There are dicks in all walks of life but motorcyclists do attract them as they think they should be telling others how ride when they kill themselves and others more frequently.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Actually Fraser, ignore all the usual suspects queuing up to have a pop at you. We all make mistakes which is fine as long as we learn from them.

Welcome to cyclechat, I hope your stay is long and enjoyable (I accidently wandered in about 7yrs ago :hello:).

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

haha.. yeah I think he got out a clipboard at one point. I moved into the cycle box as I was crammed between two vans and didn't want to be knocked by their wing mirrors - I could have stayed stationary and let them, go but then there's the danger that cars behind would follow closely and I would be stuck in the middle of the road. the safest course of action was to move into a near empty cycle box, but this is indeed breaking rule 178 of the highway code!

I didn't say all cyclists are knobs.

I'm calm now - he did annoy me at the time. He seemed to be reveling in the situation.

anyway, serious question and not point scoring here:

Why do cyclists not to a lifesaver check - is there any reason??

Drago

Legendary Member
How can one mistakenly filter through traffic and park 100+kg of motorised metal on a spot of road that its not entitled to be upon? Sounds like a series of deliberate actions to reach that goal, not a single careless mistake.

If you dont to get pinned between vehicles you should maintain your position in the queue, and not place yourself between vehicles.

And as many cyclists look properly as motorcyclists don't.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

Actually Fraser, ignore all the usual suspects queuing up to have a pop at you. We all make mistakes which is fine as long as we learn from them.

Welcome to cyclechat, I hope your stay is long and enjoyable (I accidently wandered in about 7yrs ago :hello:).
I'm an advanced motorcyclist and a cycle trainer and I look over my shoulder so much I'm surprised my head doesn't fall off.

Before making sweeping and apocryphal generalisations about other road users you should double check before hitting 'submit' that you yourself aren't publicly describing how you were committing and offence and someone had a pop at you for it.

I've explained the reasons why I went into the cycle box, but fair enough rules are rules.

Drago - as a motorcyclist you must notice how many cyclists don't look over there shoulder? I commute everyday and they simply never do.

OP
OP
F

Fraser1

How can one mistakenly filter through traffic and park 100+kg of motorised metal on a spot of road thatnits not entitled to be upon? Sounds like a series of deliberate actions to reach that goal, not a single careless mistake.

I wasn't filtering - i was inbetween 2 vans.

anyway, serious question and not point scoring here:

Why do cyclists not to a lifesaver check - is there any reason??
Why do motorcyclists regularly break speeding laws knowing full well in increases the likelihood of their death and other road users?

Ps I always shoulder check. As does my wife. And my kids. We do it to watch out for stupid overtakes of cars and motorcyclists who are speeding and can't wait or understand what a cycle box is.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
"Why do cyclists not do a lifesaver check?" is like asking "Why do drivers drink & drive/use phones/kill people?"

Please get the generalisations out of your head. As a driver I'm not asked to explain/excuse the actions of other drivers, and as a cyclist it's not for me to explain/excuse the actions of other cyclists.

Top Bottom